Ad Blocking on an Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bsamcash, Mar 29, 2016.

1. bsamcash macrumors regular

So I've recently changed by network setup. I used to use a Linksys E2500 with DD-WRT as my main router and an Airport Extreme in bridge mode strictly for wifi. I decided to remove the Linksys and go Airport-only for better compatibility with my Mac mini server. On the Linksys I had a script installed to block ads and I am sorely missing that feature. My question is:

Is there a way to block ads on an Airport Extreme?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"Is there a way to block ads on an Airport Extreme?"

Excuse me for being thick, but what kind of "ads" come out of an Airport Extreme?
    I use an Airport Extreme, never seen anything like an "ad" from it.

It's pretty much a device which just passes content through it.

You block ads with your software (such as Safari Adblock).

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

Unfortunately I think you are now stuck with in browser extensions for ad blocking.

It would be nice to be able to install a script to weed out ads but as far as I know you are unable to install scripts or custom firmware on any of the (current) Apple routers.

4. Shamgar macrumors regular

Content filtering can be done by a router to provide ad blocking to the whole network rather than have it done on a per application basis. At least some of it can be. But not by Apple routers.

5. bsamcash thread starter macrumors regular

Darn. Thanks anyway. I guess that means a short retirement for my Linksys.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think that feature is specific to the DD-WRT firmware. So unless there's a way to enable it on your Airport Extreme you're SOL.

What particular capability does the AE have in regards to your mac mini server that doesn't exist in a current-model wifi router running DD-WRT?

7. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Basically, they lack granular controls for this. Like my AE....but will not lie about when I connected into the router for the first time and wandered around the menu's I went damn....they keep a tight leash on what you can do here.

Its the dual edge to apples go to "it just works". Comes at the cost they remove things that be configured.

Pick your poison here as always.

8. bsamcash thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing really. Just that OS X Server is able to adjust settings in the AE automatically so I don't have to log in and do it myself.

Exactly.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Now you have me curious. :) What setting is server changing in the AE on its own? I can't think of any way this could happen, unless you are talking about UPnP or NAT-PMP maybe?

10. bsamcash thread starter macrumors regular

NAT, port forwarding/mapping, and I think other stuff. Not really sure. I think it also sets up the AE in bridge mode if I want to use the server for DHCP.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... gotcha. Yeah I believe the AE uses NAT-PMP rather than UPnP like most other routers, and I think NAT-PMP allows Bonjour to do some fancy routing tricks on its own.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68040

It can set the aspects of AirPort, related to services you run on your server. Mostly the port forwarding, but also a Radius-auth on your WLAN.
    Because my APX was already set up when I installed a Server app, I have no idea if it could also carry out full initial setup of APX. But it is not hard to imagine having Apple built the AP Utility's functionality into their Server app, right?
    Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 8.25.49.PNG

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

OS X Server and AirPort Utility work in conjunction with each other. AirPort Utility is used for fine controls and initial configuration while OS X Server can add pre-determined settings in for various applications.