Ad for iPhone knockoff on front page of MacRumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by japanime, Apr 3, 2009.

1. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

BUYERS BEWARE:

MacRumors is currently running an ad on its front page for a counterfeit iPhone. It looks exactly like an iPhone, and says it's only $159.99. But if you click through to the ad, it takes you to a page that is selling something called the "HiPhone." I'm sure it's just as craptacular as its cheesy name.

I realize the ad is probably coming from a third party that serves ads to a number of websites, incuding MR, but it seems that MacRumors could at least block that service from posting ads for fake iPhones.

I've took a screenshot of the ad, and can post it anyone doubts my story. But it's easy enough to verify on your own -- just look at the front page of MR right now. Hopefully the admins will see this forum post, though, and remove the ad.

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I saw a cheeky one saying something like "Get a 3G Phone for ..." (it was something like £50) :p

But as stated somewhere, MacRumors is not responsible for the ads displayed.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Moved to site and forum feedback. If you could post the screenshot and the URL that would be great.

From the FAQ

4. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

Thanks for moving the post to the appropriate section.

The ad was a Flash graphic, so I didn't get the URL. However, here's my screenshot of the ad:

http://www.cablenet.ne.jp/~japanime/mr_ad.png

Hope this helps.

5. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

The company name is trustful? Very nice