Ad Hoc Network with USB WiFi Adapter?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Night Spring, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think I saw this question come up within the last few days somewhere but I can't find it...

Anyway, does anyone know if USB WiFi adapters can be used to create an ad hoc network to hook up a Touch to a computer (Windows)? I'm thinking of using an app like DataCase or MobileFinder to transfer files to and from my Touch, and since at my work there is no WiFi network, I'm wondering if I can buy an inexpensive USB WiFi adapter to hook up the Touch to my work computer.

Any help much appreciated!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. The type of WiFi adapter doen't matter since in XP and Vista, the built software works similarly to OS X, including a built-in wizard to do the internet sharing. Or, the adapter will come with software and instructions specifically for that purpose.

TEG

3. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Great, thanks!

Off to look for an usb adapter... yikes, so many choices, how to pick... :D

4. Jalil macrumors newbie

Hi man!!

This is just the info I looking for. You have sucess?.. I'm looking for the same but in Mac, I want to share my internet connection from mi Mini (connected by ethernet) to mi iPhone with the USB doongle for WLAN... or create adhoc network. any ideas?

Thanks and greetings from Mexico (sans swine flu BTW) ;-)

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Does your mini have an airport card?

When my brother-in-law was visiting, i turned my airport ON on my mini to broadcast a net for him and it worked fine. The mini is connected via ethernet to an airport because i run an exclusive N network at the Mini doesn't do N - and neither did his iPT.

6. Jalil macrumors newbie

No, the Mac mini doesn't have the airport card, and how is a old model (G4) the airport card is expensive in Mexico. This is the reason because I use a WiFi USB adaptor for catching WiFi signals but the adaptor use a external controller for connect/desconnect from networks and I don't know how use it for make adhoc network and share the internet connection.