Ad on MacRumors, Emergency Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dontwalkhand, Sep 18, 2008.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

First time I have really paid attention to a banner ad, but this product caught me.

http://www.more-thing.com/emergency-battery.html

The Emergency Battery for the iPhone or iPhone 3G. It looks nice, and it would be a great thing to toss in your suitcase and recharge your iPhone if your iPhone should die and you need to make that important call.

Has anyone had any experience with this product, or ordering from that website? The price looks good enough, and I want to buy one for my iPhone, does anyone recommend it?

2. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

For $30 I could swing that. Anyone ever used one of these?

3. stevin macrumors regular

mobile.brando.co.hk has the same thing... i have one... pretty good will charge from 0-60% with one battery... brando has it for 25 bucks + 3 shipping

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Does it fit your iPhone 3G if it has a case (i.e. Capsule Neo)?

And how fast do they ship from that site - brando?

5. fa.ce macrumors 6502

And what about Richard Solo model ?

Which is better ?
    The Richard Solo has 1200 capacity vs 1000 of Brando one ... it's heavier too.

6. Smog macrumors regular

7. bobr macrumors member

Awesome review Danny!!!!!!!!!!! Have also been trying to find a decent pack and looks like this is it!!!! Hopefully it'll work with my Countour Showcase.

8. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

The Solo battery is great - small, solid, and works very well. The company itself is also responsive - I had a problem getting the product, not their fault, and they worked immediately to resolve the situation.

I highly recommend the Richard Solo battery!:p

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Great website, Danny. Keep up the good work. Could you tell me: how much time did it REALLY add to your usage? I know it varies, but I was wondering if it's really as it says it is.

10. diesel macrumors 6502a

does the richard solo battery trigger the "not compatible with iphone 3g....." message when plugged into the iphone 3g? thanks

11. moka macrumors 6502a

i would defiantly recommend the mophie phone juice pack. i have one for my first generation iphone and it has saved me alot of times, while doing that i could hardly notice or care that it was on the iphone as it integrated very seamlessly with it. its a case + External battery... :)

And trust me when they say it will give you twice the usage of an iphone they are telling you the truth...

Attached Files:

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Several years ago I made an iPod USB charger (not sure if I was the first, but definitely one of the firsts to make a 9V battery charger) .. i wonder if it would work with the iPhone 3G

[​IMG]

13. fa.ce macrumors 6502

I'm a bit confused :confused:
    if other solution Richard Solo, Kengsinton ... ecc. have 1000-1200 max capabilities and phone juice pack has 1800 max capabilities this last should give more than twice usage.
    1 usage with iPhone internal battery
    + 2 more usage with mopie = 3 usage, isn't it ?
    how mophie phone juice makes the iphone bigger and heavier ?
    thanks

14. moka macrumors 6502a

you are right, but for my type of use it would be twice the most since i play games and watch movies with it alot when i have the juice pack on. it does add some bulk to the iphone, for some its alot for me its fine because even though it does add bulk to the iphone its not inconvenient at all like others, it can be handled with no problems, put in your pocket, hold it in your hand, etc...

But then again i really haven't timed this or paid much attention to see how long it really lasted, but let me tell you it have saved me numerous times...

15. DaytonaJae macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the information. Too bad it doesn't fully recharge a dead iPhone, but hey, it's the right size, the right style, uses our existing charge cable, and it's connector is raised just a little bit to accomodate most cases, it seems from the photo.

I have seen similar batteries like this one on eBay that do not have the raised connector, so I held off on buying them. This one hopefully will fit my Neo case!

16. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Let us know if it fits the Neo case cause I have one as well (so as an Air Jacket and Incase slider)

17. DaytonaJae macrumors newbie

I will post pics here in this thread when I get it. I ordered it today 9/28 and it says it can take up to 14 days... shipping from Hong Kong I believe.

Worst case scenario I should have it by Oct 15th. Grrr I hate waiting for shipping! LOL

18. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ok cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Same here, I'm not patient when it regards to acquiring stuff lol

19. DaytonaJae macrumors newbie

Grace,

About how long did it take for shipping to get to you? I read they ship out of Hong Kong.

20. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

First time to click and purchase from a banner ad!!

Well, generally I’m immune to banner ads, but on this occasion it hit the ‘jackpot’ in me. Accidentally seeing an ad with a product that I was actually on the lookout for!

I have actually ordered the small emergency battery as well as the bigger Storm power pack. Both seem to be very useful for those moments when my iPhone has been dying of more juice, plus the storm power pack is compatible with a multitude of other gadgets.

Look forward to getting it in a few weeks time! :)

21. DaytonaJae macrumors newbie

- Order tracking shows it will be delivered today! Unfortunately, I am at work :( I will go home during lunch and see if it is there yet. The delivery time is about a week from Hong Kong to Daytona Beach, FL.

I'll post pictures of it with and without the Neo case, etc in this thread later on today if I can.

I love getting new gadgets (and their accessories) lol

22. chrisesposito macrumors member

I ordered mine and recently received it. Charged it overnight with my AC/wall iphone charger. I then pressed the 'Test' arrow, expecting something to light up indicating a full charge but nothing happened. I plugged it into my iPhone 3G and (not surprisingly) it gave no indication it was being charged.

For anyone that has one of these, is there some trick here? Something else I should have done? I've contacted the company this morning about my apparently defective battery, so I expect to hear back from them soon.

Chris

23. Doju macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Price: 100% more
    Capacity: 20% less

Draw your own conclusion.

24. DaytonaJae macrumors newbie

Well I got my external battery I ordered from more-thing.com today.

As promised, here are the pictures, with and without the Neo Case on.

Haven't tested the charging capacity of this thing yet, as I just got it a few hours ago, but I read it charges a 3G from a low battery warning state up to about 40%.

As you can see, the extra 1mm or so raised height of the Apple connector allows it to fit most cases. It fits fine on the Neo.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

25. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

That looks really good! I'm tempted to get one for me to use at school. It would be great to have in my backpack just in case my battery is low. :)