Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sindweller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Hello,
I have a MacBook 13 inch Unibody, late 2008.
I had an issue with the battery for the last 6 months, it degraded to 55% health it says and it is a little bit swollen. but it still worked... I was very careful not to leave it unsupervised and powered or charging. Other then that it was ok and i had already ordered a new one.
But before the new one arrived, my magsafe adapter cord ripped. ... right at the exit from the adapter. It weakened and then, my mac just shut down...
I disconnected it and didn't use it until a bought a new MagSafe adapter.
but now comes the real problem.
With the NEW magsafe adapter, the Magsafe Plug Led is a dim green and my Mac DOESN'T start without a battery.
It starts with a battery and if i remove the battery after boot it works just fine just with the adapter. The OS reports that battery is NOT charging when connected.
I read online that the MagSafe board (the little board with the plug might be fried), so i bought a new one and changed it. It happens the EXACT same thing with either one.
I started to suspect the new adapter. I borrowed another good adapter and tried it. It happens the EXACT same thing with either adapter.
I ran an Apple Service Diagnostic and the MacBook Passed it without any problem.
I ran an Apple Battery and Adapter Diagnostic.
It said: Replace battery, Adapter Connected, Battery NOT charging.
And now the cool thing.
The battery IS ACTUALLY charging. When all this business started it was at 66% charge, and after all these tests it got to 90% now.
So actually the only things that are amiss are: the MESSAGE that the battery is not charging because it IS charging in fact. The Dim Green Light on the adapter plug. And the nasty part is that the macbook is not starting without a battery.
I off course suspect the logic board. My question to you fine gentlemen: Do you think it could be something fixable WITHOUT changing the Logic Board?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I off course suspect the logic board. My question to you fine gentlemen: Do you think it could be something fixable WITHOUT changing the Logic Board?
There are three primary components to the charging system: the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the logic board. If you've verified that you have a good adapter and the battery is properly and securely installed, try resetting the SMC. If it doesn't work properly, it sounds like the logic board could be the culprit.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

sindweller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Thank you for your answer, but prior to writing on the forum, I tried, 3 different magsafe adapters, tried with and without battery, opened the macbook and cleaned it, replaced the magsafe board, reseted SMC, PRAM and all other types of resets i could think of.
I write here in the desperate hope that this might not mean the end of my macbook. I mean, at the price they charge on a logicboard, I'm better off buying a new laptop. And it would break my heart to just leave this little jewel i have to rott in a corner, Even if I will have to buy another laptop in the end, I would still like to try a fix for this one too...
even if it would mean tempering with the logic board. but off course, Apple does not make the Scheme public for the logicboard and i have no idea where to look for a the problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you for your answer, but prior to writing on the forum, I tried, 3 different magsafe adapters, tried with and without battery, opened the macbook and cleaned it, replaced the magsafe board, reseted SMC, PRAM and all other types of resets i could think of.
I write here in the desperate hope that this might not mean the end of my macbook. I mean, at the price they charge on a logicboard, I'm better off buying a new laptop. And it would break my heart to just leave this little jewel i have to rott in a corner, Even if I will have to buy another laptop in the end, I would still like to try a fix for this one too...
even if it would mean tempering with the logic board. but off course, Apple does not make the Scheme public for the logicboard and i have no idea where to look for a the problem.
I'd take it to Apple and let them check it out. Rather than guessing, they can tell you exactly what the problem is and what cost, if any, will be required to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.