Adapter for connecting to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knew2mack, Feb 11, 2015.

  1. knew2mack macrumors regular


    Sep 20, 2009
    The Beach
    Hi there,
    i have a Macbook that does not have an hdmi port but rather a couple of usb ports and something I have no idea what it is for but my question for today is.....
    i have some movies on my computer that I'd like to be able to watch on my tv. I've gotten contradicting answers from Radio Shack saying that there is no such adapter to do what I want.
    Is there a connector or adapter that I can buy that I can hook up to my television? I've been told that the adapters are only for extracting data from my laptop.
    I've also been told the complete opposite.
    Do i need to buy a male to male usb wire or do they sell usb to hdmi wires?
    would it help if I sent a pic of the side of my macbook so you all can see the ports that I have available or is this question an easier one than having to do all of that?


    Thanks so much
  2. seveej macrumors 6502a


    Dec 14, 2009
    Helsinki, Finland
    If my assumption is correct, that your laptop is the aluminum unibody MacBook, then it has a Mini DisplayPort. There are adapters for mDP->hdmi. That is what you'll need (assuming your tv does hdmi)

  3. pkutemp macrumors newbie

    Mar 3, 2015
    If your MacBook has a Mini DisplayPort, you can buy an adapter to connect your laptop to TV.

    Buy a Mini Display to HDMI cable if your TV has an HDMI port:

    or buy a Min Display to VGA adapter if your TV has a VGA port:

    Here is a link from Apple website: About Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters

    You can follow the steps in the following article to connect you laptop to the TV:
  4. Jkj12 macrumors member

    Apr 15, 2014
    The seven seas
    Your miniDVI does not support sound (assuming it's the alu macbook), so you will only get video from that connection.
  5. BrettApple macrumors 65816


    Apr 3, 2010
    Heart of the midwest
    See previous posts on getting MacBook's to a TV with sound here:

    In short:

    You will need an adapter to get video to the TV. Check your TV and see if it has a PC-in of some sort. Usually VGA as pictured. Then you need to get the right adapter for your MacBook. Do you know what model it is? 2006-Early 2008 will use Mini-DVI, Late 2008 and Late 2009 and up will use Mini DisplayPort. The Early and Mid 2009 plastic models will have Mini-DVI like the original.

    Mini DVI: [​IMG]

    Mini DisplayPort: [​IMG]

    If it's the MacBook in your signature, you will need Mini DisplayPort to VGA

    And a 3.5mm audio cable to get it to the speakers if you have the input.

    It's pretty much dependent on your TV at this point. I used my Late 2008 on my TV a good bit going through VGA and the headphone jack. Worked just fine.

Share This Page