adapter or a motherboard issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by masamunes16, May 12, 2009.

1. masamunes16 macrumors newbie

hi i'm new to this forum and wanted to ask something.

well recently i bought a powerbook G4 17" (for $200) then i found out that the person who previously had it dropped it and damaged the hard drive, so i replaced it with a new one (for $120). i installed it myself to save money and had to buy the new software leopard and installed it. after that it worked and i was using it as a normal laptop. it was working fine but the only major issue was the charge. i would spend like 30mins to an hour just trying to get the charging light on( i'll twist the cord on the base of the cord and stuff like move it around). and recently it just stopped taking the charge and as bad as the battery is it died within 10mins.

I i took it to apple and the guy said that it was the processor and it'll cost $700 to repair.

took it to local shop they said it was the motherboard and it'll cost $350 to repair.

took it to another local shop and they said if its the adapter part then it'll be $250.

so i don't know what i should do.. try to fix it myself or give up the extra 350 for the motherboard repair, or sell it as it basically costing me the same almost to buy a new laptop. i mean after this what else can go wrong right?

can someone shine some light on this problem?

thank you.

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

You sure it isn't a faulty battery? Also you don't need to have two threads

3. nxent macrumors 6502

what would the charge indicator have to do with the motherboard or processor? did anyone try using a different power supply with it?

4. masamunes16 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol yeah the thread had a problem and post it twice, but yeah no i know the battery is crappy but i just plug it into the wall mount so i can still use it. but now thats not even working..

5. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Are the "local shops" authorised Apple repairers?

6. masamunes16 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. masamunes16 thread starter macrumors newbie

well they got the replacement one because they lost the other one... but it was working.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Get the Logic Board off eBay. I saw a few for Power Mac G4s that were about $50.

9. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

The cpu repair cost alone is enough for you to get an early intel macbook. I know what I would do if I were you. I love my paperweight pb!