Adapter to charge iPhone with Magsafe charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salulos, May 7, 2011.

1. salulos macrumors newbie

Rather than fumble around with the USB charger whenever my iPhone just needs a quick pick-me-up on its battery life, I would like to be able to use my MacBook's Magsafe charger.

What would be ideal was if the iPhone had a Magsafe port, but seeing as it doesn't I was wondering if anyone knew of any adapters that plug into the iPhone to allow it to then be charged directly through the Magsafe charger.

Is this even possible? I'm sure the Magsafe charger's output is much greater than the iPhone needs, but would it be at all possible with an adapter?

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I'm not sure this is possible. The magesafe is even a mini computer in a sense. It needs a Mac to tell it how much power to draw etc. I could be wrong but I'd bet money this is not possible.

3. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Don't think that it is possible. Why not jsut plug your phone into your MacBook through USB?:confused:

4. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

yea really if you are somewhere there is a power plug without your comp just use the ac-usb adapter and if you have you comp just use it to charge. i fail to see a scenario when you would have the magsafe but no comp and why it would be convenient. Not criticizing just trying to figure why this will be useful.

5. salulos thread starter macrumors newbie

you're right that it's never a necessity, I just like the uniformity of all MacBooks accepting the same charger and think it'd be convenient to be able to just grab the same wire (since it's always easily accessible on my desk anyway) and stick it to my phone.

maybe the iPhone 6 will eventually accept the same charger as the MacBook. that'd be another nice step in the universality of Apple products.

6. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Pretty sure all future iPhones will have to have some sort of mini/micro USB adapter right? There was some government thing that said all future cell phones have to have uniform chargers

I think?:confused:

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It wasn't mandatory. The industry decided to sign an agreement to transition all connectors (for the signers anyway) to micro-USB. All the big names (including Apple) signed on. I don't think it takes effect until 2013, though, so we probably won't see micro-USB until the iPhone 6.

8. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

there was a patent a few weeks ago i think that showed magsafe for idevices. it would be something like a dock connector and could carry information for syncing as well because of more pins.