Adapter to plug modern Thunderbolt 3 peripherals into Thunderbolt 2 ports?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zorinlynx, Feb 21, 2018.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I'm seeing a lot of Thunderbolt 3 peripherals hitting the market; the ones that use the USB-type C connector and can plug into newer Macs. I'm also seeing adapters that let you plug older Thunderbolt 2 peripherals (using the displayport connector) into newer Macs that have the type-C connector.

I can't find an adapter to do the opposite, though; I want to plug Thunderbolt 3 peripherals into my 2015 iMac that has TB2 ports.

For instance, this drive: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusiontb3pcieflashdrive.html

Does this adapter exist, or am I SOL? It's a bit depressing because this iMac is not that old and should be able to support this newer hardware.

2. BillyBurke macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2018 ---
    Me too. Lots of stuff going the other way, 2 to 3, but nothing 3 to 2. Perhaps because you can't throttle "high capacity into small" but can insert "small into high" ?

3. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

I believe the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter is bidirectional.

(You might be able to find a lightly used one for cheap because many people bought them erroneously thinking it was a DisplayPort adapter.)

4. steffi macrumors 6502a

Mac with Thunderbolt 2 port -> Thunderbolt 2 cable -> Apple Thunderbolt 2-Thunderbolt 3 Adapter -> Thunderbolt 3 Device

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Apple's tbolt2-to-tbolt3 adapter is supposed to "work both ways".
    Whether it actually DOES, probably depends on the hardware with which it's being used....