Adapter to use GTC 285

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luba, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Is the adapter to use GTX 285 with the Apple 24" LED back-lit display the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI for $99??

The adapter description talks about a Mac with Mini DisplayPort to a display with Dual-Link DVI, but the GTX 285 has the Dual-Link DVI and it's the display that has Mini DisplayPort.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

It is the correct one, but you dont need dual link unless you are using 30".

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, it is NOT correct.

You cannot connect an LED Cinema Display to a GTX 285 at all.

Do NOT buy a $900 display, $450 card, and $30 adapter to find that it doesn't work at all.

4. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Will an adapter be forthcoming to connect GTX 285 to the 24" LED Apple display? Doesn't sound like it will be in the near future.

I read the GTX 285 is double wide so I remove the GT 120 or ATI 4870 to fit in the GTX 285? If I can have 2 cards in their is it possible to get them to work together for an extra boost? Probably not??

So the only benefit of having 2 cards is multiple displays? Use the a nice display for games with the GTX 285 and say an average display with the GT120.

So

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't use a 4870 and GTX 285 at the same time without a secondary power supply in the second optical drive bay. You will be using all "five" of your PCIe slots.

And you can't just "combine" the power of the cards. No monitor means "worthless draw of power" as of now.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

From what I have heard an adapter is in the works, but I wouldn't hold my breath.:( I also would opt for a completely different monitor as well, but that's just me:eek: