Adapter to use PCMCIA on the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeos, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

Is there any such thing as an adapter that will let me use a PCMCIA card via the MBP's Express Card slot or USB port? I have a Sprint internet card I would like to use, but it's PCMCIA.

Thanks for any help!

2. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

One of my coworkers bought one of these and the Sprint software wouldn't recognize the Sprint card even though the system recognized it as the same device his old computer recognized the aircard as. He ended up just getting one of the new expresscard aircards.

3. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Another more expensive option you could go with if there isn't a good express card option available for you is to get a mobile broadband router. A couple of the models by Linksys and D-Link cost around $200. It wouldn't be a great option for away from home access but at least you could position it in the house where you have the strongest signal and share the internet between your laptops.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Google for OmniDrive USB for some external USB/PCCard readers

5. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link; I had actually seen the Sewell product via Google, but was hoping for addt'l options. The Omnibus option is a good one that had not come up in Google as readily as the Sewell product.

Keep in mind that one of the benefits of a forum like this is an archive of discussions.

6. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered the adapter from PSI. I hope to be able to use my Sprint Wireless Card on my MBP. I'll update the forum with results once I receive the adpater.

7. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

How much did you pay for it?