Adapters and value!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Soundburst, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

help me choose!!

There is a satechi adapter (and for some reason they're throwing in a mouse) for $44 ... (Which including postage to uk comes to about £43).

It looks pretty suave and has 2 USB's, a charger pas thru and an SD/micro SD reader.

Or I can go into town and get the Apple adapter which has ONE usb, one USBC , and one hdmi.

The hdmi is a draw but I can't choose :(

If only the satechi sacrificed one of the usb for a hdmi. :(

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/type-c-pass-through-usb-hub-space-gray

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If it's the one that fits flush with the side of the Macbook, the reviews on it are pretty mixed. The Apple one is expensive, but it's probably the only one that you can guarantee will work reliably. It's not much savings if you buy a different one now only to eventually buy the Apple (or another brand) again later.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a flush one.

Oh really I'd assume it'd work. That's a shame as its much much nicer than the apple one!

4. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Check eBay. I had a friend in the USA who was able to get me the Apple Digital HDMI Adapter for £20. Some good deals on there.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

The thing that would make me nervous about the Satechi adapter is the lack of any sort of strain relief on the USBC port. If you shift your rMB around on your desk any force from the assembly of cables is going right to the connector. With the other style hubs the pigtail between hub and rMB would absorb much of the movement/strain.

Now this is all said without having seen one in person, but it's enough of a concern I wouldn't buy it.

6. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah they should have put feet on it.

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Had the flush one and returned it when it interfered with my plastic casing. Ended up with a simple USB-C to USB 3.0 port with charging capability. Tiny and serves its purpose well for $12 on eBay.