Adapters for projector for 2016 MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hallvalla, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hallvalla macrumors member

Base model.

Confused on what I need to hook up my MBP to a projector or external video outputs. Would appreciate any suggestions of the best adapters to use.

Would need all configs as a fail safe; VGA, HDMI, etc.

Thank you!

2. Hallvalla thread starter macrumors member

Looks good. What about mini Display ports? Just want to cover all my bases for hooking up to a projector/monitor for presentations.

3. Hallvalla thread starter macrumors member

These are what I ended up ordering. Hopefully it covers all my bases:

• Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) to DVI Adapter in Black

• USB Type C Adapter, AllSmartLife USB C Type to Mini DisplayPort/Mini DP Adapter Cable
    • Cable Matters USB-C Multiport Adapter with 4K HDMI or VGA Video and Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI, VGA, DVI, and Mini DisplayPort. Hopefully these cover my bases for presentations. Any thoughts?

4. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Are there any projectors that use big-boy DisplayPort?

5. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

From my personal experience, 95% of projectors will use HDMI or VGA (sadly). MiniDP and "big boy DP" (never seen) are more rare, and almost completely non-existent with exclusively DP ports without HDMI or VGA. Maybe others can chime in on that, but that's my experience.

6. ice29 macrumors member

ice29

there are many dirty cheap adapters for miniDP, but none for USB-C yet (just the ultraexpensive startech adapter)
    I want VGA/HDMI/DVI in one box, so I am waiting for this to pull off on aliexpress or ebay:

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/USB-C-cable/p/sm/1124051416.htm#1124051416

Those guys already have the same adapter for miniDP and it costs 6$, so I hope this one goes into production soon as well..

Edit: if you also want miniDP:

https://www.startech.com/AV/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-vga-dvi-hdmi-mDP~CDPVGDVHDMDP

but the price...

7. Hallvalla thread starter macrumors member

8. ice29 macrumors member

ice29