Adaptor and 2,5-mm headset

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by ljosaa, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ljosaa macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased an iPod Touch 2G and think it's awesome that you can call with Skype using Fring.

I just tried it today and it worked perfectly. Only problem is that I don't have a microphone for it. But then I remember that I had a completely new headset that I bought for my old Motorola phone.

A three-conductor 2,5-mm headset including a mic. This made me think that the only thing I would need was a three-conductor 3,5-mm (male) to 2,5-mm (female) adaptor.

Would this work? I found two on amazon that I think will work but people are giving it different rating and moaning about it not working with different devices. Just want to make sure before I make my purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3CTI4SHTVAILM&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1TB4CRIUIFO5O&v=glance

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The new iPod headphones with play/pause/volume and mic work with the iPod touch...

The adapters you're looking at are for using regular stereo headphones in a 2.5in phone handset jack. Not what you need for an iPod or iPhone.

This adapter would make your headset fit. Work? I don't know. But fit, yes. $3 here, similar.

3. ljosaa thread starter macrumors newbie

The only difference between the headsets is that your site actually says that they will work but aren't they the same adaptor in essense? Should I just go for the safe bet?

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The adapters I linked are identical to each other in function. The adapters you linked are for listening to music on phones from Motorola and the like.

5. ljosaa thread starter macrumors newbie

But aren't mine and yours identical or are the chords different?

I just want to understand.

6. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

They're opposite each other. The male end on the two I posted is 3.5mm, the male end on yours is 2.5mm. The female end on the two I posted is 2.5mm, the female end on yours is 3.5mm. The iPhone and iPods all accept a 3.5mm male plug, and your headset from Motorola has a 2.5mm male plug.

If I had any decent software on this five year old windows machine, I'd make a diagram. Thank god I get my mac back tomorrow.