adaptor for macbook...the long one...get extra hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob2131, Dec 18, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

you know when you buy macbook.
    You get a normal ac wire to stick into the wall.

and then you get this extension lead....with a rectangle thing on it.....which extends the whole chord.......

you know that rectangle thing.........it get WAY more hotter than the normal one ......as compared to the normal length adaptor rectangle........

it gets so hot you cant even touch it for a second..... that hot.......

is this normal????? is this eating more electricity compared to the normal standard size wire adaptor??????

ive also noticed.....when i plug the plug into the socket.....i get a flash of electricity.... not major...but scary as hell......and a little bang each time....so i switch the socket to OFF....plug in.....and then is ok, no flash and bang........ this is only with one socket in my room......
    (sorry this is anotehr issue)

what you think?

2. anish3232 macrumors member

Mines been plugged in using the extended cord for 6-8 hours now and its cool. Something might be wrong with your power adapter.

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont notice a difference between the 2 charging options

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hey! British Isles?

I was in Ireland for three months and I noticed the same thing. We get it here in the States, too, but not NEARLY as huge as over there. One of my friends was afraid that he was going to fry himself every time he plugged his computer in.

It's fine. Just don't touch the prongs as they go in. :p

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im in UK.
    But generally speaking.... no bang or flash EVER happens here....
    just as i mentioned in that instance....

yeah the normal plug dont get as hot......
    but the longer adaptor thing....gets way hot.... i dont like using it too much.... it seems like it doesnt know when to ease off...and it keeps getting hotter...... i usually turn it off before a full charge to be safer..... in case it explodes.......