Adaptor for Powebook G4 Charger to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brynwdeamer, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Brynwdeamer macrumors newbie

I have a lovely SmartDisk PowerBook G4 Auto Adaptor that I bought with my PowerBook G4 back in 2002. Now I have a MacBook Pro and of course the tip for the charger is different. I've searched the web for ideas or an adbaptor but with no luck so thought I'd try the experts. The output of the SmartDisk G4 Auto Adaptor charger is 24v, 2.0 Amp, while the MacBook Pro's charger's output is rated ad 16.5 - 18.5v, 4.5 A max. Could the auto-charger be used with those differences if I managed to wire a MacBookPro magnetic charging tip in it? or would I blow up my batteries!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Powerbook G4 and Macbook line are very different when it comes to charging. There is no way to convert between the two different types.

3. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Apple doesn't license the mag-safe connector. Any company that wanted to make PsU adapters and such has to actually buy the brick from apple and cut off the tip. There was a company doing that for a bit but I can't remember why. Long and short of it is you are going to have to junk the PowerBook psu and buy one for the MBP.

4. Brynwdeamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I feared as much! - Hate to chuck perfectly good stuff in the land fill, but nobody seems to be in the market for one..

Thanks for the confirmation.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd sell that on eBay. I'm sure there's somebody that want's it.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you are going to throw it away anyways then send it to me :)

Or put it on eBay, you should be able to get some money out of it