Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Sorry for possible cross posting. I think I did not phase my question correctly in previous posting.

I am looking for some kind of adaptor/extension cable which connects the iPod Touch 3G to my own sound isolating earphones. Such adaptor/extension cable should allow me to remotely control the iPod Touch which is inside my backpack. Ideally, it should allow me to switch on/off the device, change the volume, operate the device via Voice Control, make clear voice recordings, talk to my friends via Skype, etc. Any recommendations? Thanks.

sam100

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
such an adapter that does all you require does not exist. I would suggest getting a bluetooth headset - you can control your Touch and take calls.

Bluetooth also removes wires to your backpack.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
such an adapter that does all you require does not exist. I would suggest getting a bluetooth headset - you can control your Touch and take calls.

Bluetooth also removes wires to your backpack.

How about chaining several adaptors each of which does parts of what I want? Will that be possible?
Let's start with volume control. I found:
http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/pd/productID.104991600

I have the Shure 115 sound isolation headphone. As it is very good for sound isolation, I hope to keep it. (By the way, it seems that the new Shure 115m+ can do all I want. http://www.shure.com/newproducts/index.htm )

Anyway, which bluetooth headset do you recommend? I prefer one with excellent sound isolation.

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
I use this one. You can't do everything you asked for with it, but you can play/pause, change tracks and change the volume. I still plug my headphones directly into my ipod, because plugging them into the remote makes them sound pretty crappy.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I recently bought the Griffin Navigate remote. It does almost everything you want and is pretty slick.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/navigate

Good to hear about this product. Does it work with iPod Touch 3G (OS 3.1.2)? From a review posted on Amazon, it seems that it does not work with OS 3.x. Could you please check? Can you use it to turn on/off the iPod Touch? Thanks.

danentin

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Good to hear about this product. Does it work with iPod Touch 3G (OS 3.1.2)? From a review posted on Amazon, it seems that it does not work with OS 3.x. Could you please check? Can you use it to turn on/off the iPod Touch? Thanks.

Yes, I have an iPod Touch with the latest OS (though there is no such thing as an iPod Touch 3G) and the remote works. However I don't believe the remote can turn the device on and off as far as I can tell. One downside that I have found so far is that if you don't power the device all the way off (instead of just sleeping it as I usually do) the remote stays on and drains the battery.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Yes, I have an iPod Touch with the latest OS (though there is no such thing as an iPod Touch 3G) and the remote works. However I don't believe the remote can turn the device on and off as far as I can tell. One downside that I have found so far is that if you don't power the device all the way off (instead of just sleeping it as I usually do) the remote stays on and drains the battery.

Thanks. Is there another way to turn on or off the iPod Touch besides pressing the switch physically? Is there an utility or plug-in to enable this feature in Voice Control?

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
I'm waiting for this adapter from Belkin to be available. Then I can use my favorite Sennheiser headphones with them.

They seem to be available from Best Buy already, maybe you should try there? I just ordered them from a site here in Europe... seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
They seem to be available from Best Buy already, maybe you should try there? I just ordered them from a site here in Europe... seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you! I had no idea Best Buy already had them. Gonna have to swing by and pick these up soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.