Adaptunes is out - An innovative app using 3.0 features - Only $0.99

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by alphaacid, Jun 18, 2009.

1. alphaacid macrumors newbie

Alpha Acid is pleased to announce that [app]Adaptunes[/app] was released yesterday, alongside the release of iPhone 3.0.

[app]Adaptunes[/app] removes the tedium of listening to music on your iPhone. By working alongside the integrated iPod, Adaptunes automatically adjusts your volume based on how fast you are traveling. Obviously useful for driving, Adaptunes also has profiles for other activities such as motorcycling, biking, and skiing.

Adaptunes works seamlessly with the integrated iPod, just load up a playlist, podcast, or album using your iPod and then fire up Adaptunes to let it take over for you. You can also create a playlist within Adaptunes. Since Adaptunes controls the iPod, when you close Adaptunes your music keeps playing.

Not only can Adaptunes control your volume for you, future expansions will make it even more powerful. Future features will include Adaptive Playlists that automatically adjust to your preferences, social networking integration so all your Twitter and Facebook friends know what you're up to, and audio cues based on speed or other factors.

For more information about Adaptunes, please visit http://www.alphaacid.com/adaptunes/

Attached Files:

2. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Very interesting ideas, I might be interested in trying this out...and it's a really solid deal at 99 cents.

3. entrager macrumors newbie

Nice!

I'll be checking this one out when I get my 3GS tomorrow. If it works at all, it's easily worth 99 cents! This would rule on my motorcycle.

4. entrager macrumors newbie

I made this my first app purchase. It worked wonderfully on my motorcycle! Awesome idea.

5. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

I don't understand how it works or what it does exactly. I wish there was a lite version :(

6. entrager macrumors newbie

Basically you just pick your activity and it automatically adjusts your volume based on how fast you are going. You can drag the little markers on the volume bar to change the normal "at rest" volume and the maximum volume. Depending on which activity you have selected, the volume adjustment changes. So like for driving it seems like the maximum volume change happens at around 65 miles per hour, but for biking it's more like 25.

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Just finished washing the Triumph, was planning on a ride anyway.

This seems like a great idea, I'll report back if it works. I have my fingers crossed.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But it doesn't continue to control the volume, does it?

9. alphaacid thread starter macrumors newbie

That is correct, it can only control the volume this running.

10. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I remember borrowing a friends Maxima (car) years ago and it had that feature. Kind of freaked me out at first. If you roll down a window or speed up it changed the radio's volume.

Question: Does this still work with an accessory like iDrive (plays music through the radio via a dock cable) or is it limited to the headphones?

- James

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

All 3 (2003, 2007, 2008) cars in my family does this too. Seems to be a 'standard' feature in 2000+ cars.

12. jason1222 macrumors newbie

great idea for motorcycles

I love it - exactly what I need for my motorcycle. Right now I have to settle on a "medium" volume, one that's a little too loud for the city streets but a little too soft on the highway - and this is a constant annoyance because I comunte on my motorcycle about 50% on city streets and 50% on highway. I wish I had an iphone so I could get this app :(

Great idea

13. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

EDIT: Egg on my face. I deleted and reinstalled, and it works flawlessly. Perfectly. I don't have to choose between barely audible at speed, or deafening at stop lights anymore while on the motorcycle. Amazing work, guys. Also thanks for the multiple emails trying to help me get it working. Developer support is a huge factor in a quality app, and this one is quality.

Bummer. Only time the volume changed was when I pulled up to the fifth stoplight from my house. It cranked all the way up for a second, then quieted back down to the original volume. I did lock the screen before I put the phone back in my pocket, and didn't really go over 45mph, though.

I'll head out to the highway as soon as I finish my coffee, see if it works better at higher speeds. I hope it's a linear slide, and not an abrupt increase like I saw before. I really, really want this app to work. I have all the pieces for a set of Bluetooth helmet speakers that I have yet to install. If this works, I'll have found the holy grail.

Continued:

Well, tried again. No luck. Tried every idea I could come up with. Opened maps, got a GPS lock, then opened Adaptunes, and didn't lock the screen. No change in volume up to 120mph. A couple times while stopped, it would crank up to full volume for a second or two, and then back to normal. Never increased while moving. I had the iPhone in my right front pocket, should have been pretty easy to grab a satellite, unless denim is a radio blocker. I changed profiles down to 'Mountain Biking", and it tried to work while putting around town, just delayed. It would increase volume at stop signs, and then quiet down once I was moving.

Anyone else get this working? Haven't tried it in a car yet, since I don't have one. I still really want this to work. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

14. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Do you wear a full faced helmet? If so what headphones are comfortable to wear? I'd like to get this app but I haven't found any headphones that are good to wear with my helmet.

15. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I have a set of V-Moda Vibe headphones that work great, but my helmet has pretty big ear pockets. Now that the iPhone supports A2DP Bluetooth, I'm going to install my helmet speakers. Wireless. Heck yeah.

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'll look up those V-Mode headphones. What helmet speakers do you have? Do you prefer those to in ear headphones?

17. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

No idea, they were $30 off Ebay. Haven't even tried them out, bought them and a Bluetooth receiver to use with my first iPhone (almost 2 years ago) assuming it would play music over A2DP. Finally the update came out, and it might work. Still have to install them, but I'd imagine no wires and the speakers not being in my ears would be a lot more comfortable. Not to mention the legal issues. Speakers are legal, headphones aren't.

18. alphaacid thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear it's not working well for you. We'd like to know more about your experience so we can fix it. Which model of phone are you using? Does the GPS generally work well in other apps?

As for the sudden volume changes, the next update will address that. Volumes will change smoothly and never jump.

We apologize for the problems you're having. We haven't experienced anything quite like that in our testing. Some users have had issues with 2G iPhones, due to the low location accuracy.

19. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

8gb iPhone 3g. GPS usually locks on, problem free. I also have 'Speed', an app designed as nothing but a speedometer, and it works flawlessly, so I assumed my phone was capable of measuring what it needed for your app to work.

I will say, I LOVE the idea of your app, and am willing to do anything I can to help make it better. Email me at corythebassplayer at gmail.com. Anything I can do to help.

20. alphaacid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll email you promptly so we can sort this out.

21. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

What track did you get to 120 on. That is vehicle impound speeds.

22. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I got your email, thanks. Doing a couple checks to make sure the GPS in my phone is working right. Haven't checked since the 3.0 update.

No idea which track exactly, but it was something by Social Distortion. Triumph Speed Triple and an empty highway.

23. entrager macrumors newbie

it doesn't work on my dock. But normal iphone volume controls don't either, so that's probably why.

I'll try it on my friends dock sometime.

24. Emma Peel macrumors newbie

Couple wants

I purchased the app yesterday and have a couple suggestions. The first a big annoyance and the second just a request.

1) Everytime I restart the app it sets it back to drive mode instead of road bike mode where I left it. Really would like this to remember what I was using last.

2) Would like to know\control the speeds at which the min and max volumes are hit.

In fact alphaacid could you tell us what the speeds are for the road bike setting?

Thanks.

25. Emma Peel macrumors newbie

Good news

I have been informed by email by the makers of Adaptunes that both of the features that I wanted are already in their 1.1 version which is due out shortly.