ADB Graphics tablet

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sutty100, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sutty100 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an ADB graphics tablet. Had a look on ebay.co.uk and there is only one that I can find and that doesn't come with a pen! I wanted to get one for my beige G3 to use in OS 9 just for fun really. It does have a usb card in it but I'm not sure I trust it to run a usb graphics tablet in OS 9! So if anybody has one they would be willing to sell let me know, or if anybody has experience of a usb graphics tablet in OS 9 let me know that also!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have an ancient Kurta that works really well. It has both a pen(plugs into a serial-port like connection on the back) and more complicated cursor-type tool.

It was given to me, so I'm not inclined to sell it(plus I do use it on occasion). It would also probably be prohibitively expensive to ship across the pond-it's a heavy beast, and would take a lot of packing to make sure it arrived safely.

I'm posting primarily, though, to just mention the brand and say that I've had good luck with in everything from System 6 to OS 9.

All of that said, USB support is actually pretty good in OS 9, as by the time OS 9 came out every computer Apple was selling was USB based. OS 9 was released in October 1999, and the last computer with an ADB port(the B&W G3-which had it for legacy support although it was primarily USB) was discontinued in August of that year. I can't give any specific advice, but if you do buy a USB based pad try to find one made in roughly the 1998-2002 ballpark and be sure OS 9 drivers exist for it(they probably do if it was made during that time, although it may take some digging to find them).

I can understand your desire of an ADB tablet, though. My Kurta "just works" on every computer where it's been connected.