ADB == Mini-DIN?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Amad3U5, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Amad3U5 macrumors member

I want to buy an Apple Extended Keyboard to use with my MacBook Pro. Naturally, this means that I must purchase an ADB to USB adapter. However, no manufacturer seems to make these anymore, and the scarce units on eBay are incredibly expensive. So I discovered that ADB is simply Apple's version of Mini-DIN, and found Mini-DIN to USB adapters for significantly cheaper.

So my question is: can I use a generic Mini-DIN to USB adapter for use with my Mac, or must I opt for the more expensive ADB to USB?

2. BlackFalcon448 macrumors member

Although ADB uses the mini din connector type, it is not compatible with standard converters due to the different pin assignments. The griffin imate is also available on amazon, if you want to check there. That's where I got mine a few years ago.

3. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

4. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Hi,

I used an imate together with a G5 some years ago. To say it mildly, I had some "issues", but most of these were related to non-US characters (and the key left of no. 1)

There's a related thread at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=380272

RGDS,