Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forum user

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
Why not simply use iCab or Atomic for browsing? They both have good adblockers.

iCab or Atomic would cover for Ads in the web browser as in "Safari". Apps that use the in-build webview would continue to show ads.

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've watched recent speed comparison videos on the iPad 2, using the new optimized version of Safari for the iPad 2 and Atomic and iCab.

The new Safari was faster then the others, Atomic and iCab have not been re-written to take advantage of the new java engine (or whatever apple calls it)

Its too bad though, I just wish one of the more popular browsers added touch functionality for whatever add or banner you would just like to block and make go away.

forum user

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
The file that James offers on his page is a good starting point. I did add one or two hosts to it, but was more because of some particularities. Most ads are filtered out using the standard file.

adBlock in Firefox (or Glimmer Blocker in Safari) use wildcards and masks. With the "limitation" of /etc/hosts the file will become very large when recreating all the possible combination covered by the wildcards in adBlock.

Imahottguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
SBAdblock Toggle is the name from modyouri, to be specific. I use it, and like it a lot. I wish they would make it into a full fledged GUI that would work like AdBlockPlus does on FF. I'd love to be able long press over a frame or image and have the option "block image" or "block frame" or whatever. SBAdblock Toggle works by using an SBsettings toggle that switches between a modded and unmodded hosts file. Also, it will patch popular tweaks like SBSettings, by tap and holding the toggle, so that one can access the more app and not have the pesky "adblocking hosts file detected, fix?". I understand the purpose of ads in free apps, and try to use the modded hosts file while on 3G.I don't mind "accidentally" clicking on ads every so often so I can support these rockin devs!

rogergamer

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
do not use the host adblock (sbadblock toggle) on the ipad 1, only use it on the iphone 4 or other devices with at least 512mb of ram, since it would cause a spike in ram use and would cause memory intensive apps on your ipad 1 to constantly crash. on the ipad 1 i would recommend adblocker

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.