AdBlock Plus VS. SafariBlock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I've been using both FF & Safari lately, with ADP installed on FF and SafariBlock on Safari.

What I've noticed tho, is, that SafariBlock seems to be more effective than ADP. For example, on lots of sites it will automatically block those annoying flashy ads, while ADP won't (though it offers a "Block" option after the site has already loaded). Also, there are certain Paid-To-Click websites that I click on the regular. Some of those work in the way that whenever you view one of those ads to get credited for your click, when you want to close the tab (in Firefox), there will be these annoying pop-up windows asking you to chat with their agent blahblah. Those pop-ups won't go away if you simply click "no", so you'd have to press Esc and only then you'll be able to finally close the tab.

However, ever since I got SafariBlock, I have no problem browsing those ads with Safari - when I want to close the tab, I will actually be able to do so without any interference from the "chat" windows or other pop-ups preventing me to close the tab. It has worked well on all those paid-to-click and other sites, without ever having to press Esc in order to get rid of the pop-ups.

Now perhaps the biggest downside to SafariBlock is that it's far less customizable than ADP. For example, it appears that you can only add whichever website filters you want, yet it won't let you UNfilter certain websites that you perhaps wouldn't want the program to block.

Am I missing something about ADP, or is it simply that it doesn't work exactly in the way SafariBlock does?

Discuss...

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

With AdBlock Plus you can subscribe to different lists. Perhaps you need to choose a different one. I find they're about the same for myself in terms of block efficiency.

3. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

SafariBlock seems to work well for me. It also allows you to subscribe to different lists.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I use: http://glimmerblocker.org/

Protects multiple browsers, works well, not a plugin for safari, and integrates in System preferences.