AdBlocker for Safari iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by THE dAY, Dec 28, 2010.

1. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Just saw it in Cydia, the name is AdBlocker.
    Price is $1.99 by the same guy who makes FullScreen for Safari.

I have FullScreen for Safari and its great now after the updates by the developer.
    Months ago I had tried another adblocker (link) it blocked some ads but it actually slowed the loading times in Safari.

If this app can actually speed up Safari load times then it will definitely be worth it.

For those that have tried it please post your opinions.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd like to know as well.
    If anyone tried it out let us know.

3. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

4. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats the link I gave in the first post, when I tried it months ago it removed some ads but it actually slowed the page loading times for Safari.
    I'd much rather have a faster Safari than no ads.

Here's the MacRumors thread on SBAdblock:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=997306&highlight=

Btw, when I checked earlier in Cydia this new AdBlocker was at version 1.0, now it's 1.0.1. The dev is pretty good at keeping up with his apps from what I've seen with is other app, Fullscreen for Safari.

5. ALWAYSBLESS macrumors member

Tried it... Still got massive amounts of pop ups on certain sites

6. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I purchased it too and was trying it out with my bookmarked sites.
    It blocks the ads but all the sites I visited load much slower with AdBlocker enabled.
    Sometimes it's actually twice as slow to load pages.
    (ex. over Wifi: page loads 10sec AdBlocker enabled, loads 5sec AdBlock disabled)

That was the main thing for me, I wanted to have a faster Safari.
    Blocking Ads and the expense of a slow Safari is not what I was looking for.

Also every once in a while I get a blue bar on top saying Pirated Copy even though I paid for it through Cydia Store. A respring usually gets rid of it though.

I have emailed the dev asking for a refund since I just purchased it today.

7. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Makes sense, did you get the refund ?

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

9. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got a reply back from the dev saying to wait for version 1.0.2 which should be out in the next 12 hours which has "major speed bump on big sites" and if that doesn't help then was told to contact Saurik for refund.

The dev was quick to reply to my concerns and was very curtious in his reply.
    I have reinstalled AdBlocker and will wait for the update and see if it helps any.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too.
    Thanks guys:)

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

keep us updated sounds like he is trying if he gets it worked out I want it..

12. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

OK so update 1.0.2 is out.

The main issue I had was with loading. Now some sites load faster and some load slower but the slower loading sites are just a couple seconds behind. The sites that it loads faster are a couple seconds ahead. Its pretty even.

The new update now comes with an SBSettings toggle which toggles on/off quickly (~1 sec).
    As for removing ads it does a good job, removes ads and adjusts web page to fit accordingly.
    So overall pretty good update so I will keep it and use it. Still hoping for another update down the line which brings better performance.

If there is a specific site you would like me to test, let me know.

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

This addon works wonderfully on my iPhone 4 and iPad. I simply love it.

If you're having problems with load speed, remove any hosts file you were using for adblocking. That seems to slow things down quite a lot with this extension even if it is fast under normal usage.

14. Sixth Street macrumors member

Does it work with other browsers like iCab or Atomic among others? I know these browsers have their own built in ad blockers, but I find they are not really that great.

15. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

16. LinMac macrumors 65816

Yes, it works with any application that uses the Safari framework for browsing (everything in the official app store). You just need to turn it on for that app.

It uses the same adblocking lists as Adblock Plus for Firefox and you can even add the EasyPrivacy list to your devices if you like.

17. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Good to hear that. a distorted layout without ads is worse than website with ads. :)

Given the response from the dev I am sure software will be more improved soon.

18. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to say that it does not adjust every website after removing ads, some have a blank area on top where banner ad would be. Overall, it does a good job especially adjusting for ads in the middle of websites.

There is another update out, 1.0.3, which adds whitelist/blacklist.
    Whitelist for URLs not to be blocked. I don't know what the blacklist does since it seems redundant to me but I must be missing something.

The SBsettings toggle is nice to quickly check the changes the app makes to websites and to check loading speed. I would eventually like the app to be so good that I wouldn't have a need for the toggle.

19. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

1.04 is out but no mention in the changelog of what was updated. App seems to be the same.

On a side note, I decided to enable the app for Pandora and it works, no more ads in Pandora but you still see the small little (x) delete button and sometimes a grey bar along the bottom.
    I touched where the ad would be and nothing happens.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sound like the Dev is very active with it and improving it. So I think I will give it a try for myself/

21. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly I would hold off for now.

Its not worth it yet in my opinion. The fact that some sites load a few seconds faster and some load a few seconds slower gets kind of annoying.

Also just found a bug, when you type the word "ads" into the Google search bar you get a blocked blank screen.

For example, if I type the word "ads" then I get a blank screen, if I type the words "best ads of 2010" I get a blank screen.
    Basically anything you type if it has the word "ads" then you will get a blank screen.

22. LinMac macrumors 65816

Anyone having speed issues should take note, running this program and an ad blocking hosts file will slow your phone down significantly. Don't do it. The adblocker itself is good enough.

23. sstyle macrumors regular

I bought AdBlocker and update to 1.04. Now I have piracy warning (( I delete it and tried to install cracked 1.03 it works well without piracy warning.

ps. AdBlocker doesnt work with iCab, I dont know why. With other apps it works fine.

24. MiRod407 macrumors member

Why don't you just buy Atomic Browser from the App Store. It already has adblock built into it and it also displays at full screen. Its the best browser jailbroken or not. If you're jailbroken then you can get "Browser Changer" and it will always direct links to Atomic Browser instead of the default Safari app. It costs a few bucks but IMHO its better then any other solutions made up of different tweaks. Theres also a lite version.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atomic-web-browser-browse/id347929410?mt=8

25. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

I had tried Atomic a while ago but it wasn't my cup of tea from the UI to all the extras I would never use. I really love the simplicity and layout of the native Safari browser. Thanks for the suggestion though.

As for this AdBlocker, I felt it was time to delete it. If I see any updates to it then I will give it another go. The thing was, even with it disabled the bottom bar of Safari would be greyed out every now and then.