iPhone Adblocker no longer blocking iAds

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jps1012, Feb 13, 2013.

1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360807076.674539.jpg

Looks like saurik is asking them to remove these features. Do you think it is shady to use that repo to use it anyway ?

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It looks like that developer's personal repo so I say you should be fine.

3. quaresma macrumors newbie

I make my own hosts file, think it works better. If I can do the same without having a Mobile Substrate app running, I prefer that

4. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Hmm that's kinda over my head. Does a mobile substrate ad another thing constantly running?

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Who put that regulation?

The hell they are nerfing my adblocker.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just use dnsmasq and pixelserv. Better than a hosts file block because of no timeouts and you get the added benefit of a DNS cache server, which is amazing on a slow cellular connection. Use that along with polipo, and you'll have a really nice setup for use with a slow connection.

7. nephron8 macrumors regular

Would you tell me how to set up this.
    As I am suffering exact same issue in cellular iPad.
    Thanks.

8. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I see both sides of this...but at the same time, since it's my device, I want to choose what I want to see (and use my bandwidth that I pay for either via my wifi internet or my cellular internet connection).

All I want to know....is as a paid supporter of 3 of yllier's apps, which version is going to be the latest/greatest to use....and have sent an email to yllier directly.

9. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

Do let us know what he replies... If he does...

10. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Thinking of doing this myself, figure it should be doable via DD-WRT via one of these services. Hopefully it's as easy as I'm imagining lol.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is very easy to do on a jailbroken iPhone or any *NIX based system.

12. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Is there a way of getting the previous version to reinstall? I'm really disappointed by this move. I should have read the change log more closely.

13. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i would like to know if there is a way of turning off cydia's update notification on this app.

i havent "upgraded" to this nerfed version yet because i saw this thread early on but i dont want cydia to keep notifying me of this update.

cheers.

14. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

The AdBlockerNetwork from repo.yllier.net isn't working. I installed it and iAds still show up.

15. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

AdBlockerNetworks works fine for me. Did you turn it on for the specific app you want to block ads in?

16. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Really? Is there a FAQ/guide or something? I would prefer that over using an app.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There isn't an FAQ for it. I just followed various webpages on how to set it up for Mac OS X. Because iOS is very much like Mac OS X underneath, it works very well. The hard part will be setting the DNS for your cellular connection, but that isn't too hard. I do know that the Cydia sources for Perl, as needed for pixelserv, are not default sources. I don't think dnsmasq is in a default repo either.

18. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Darn, sounds like it could be above my head. I don't know much of anything about OSX. :/

19. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

So I'm assuming adblockernetwork is safe to use then? I installed it and it seems to works fine accept in activator.

20. rak007, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

rak007 macrumors 6502a

Ok i am sorry if this sounds stupid but i want to verify properly that iAds and other normal ads are also blocked by this tweak. Can anyone suggest me couple of usual apps and websites to try and see if it is working ?
    I would be doing a before and after thing to check for the same app / website.

Also after i set the toggle to ON for the apps in ADBlocker settings, do i need to spring or it taken into effect even without respringing ?

21. Eclipse538 macrumors regular

SBSsettings adblock toggle

I use SBSettings Adblock Toggle w/ Adblock attached. It works about 99% of the time on ads from Apps and while surfing online. its kind of hard to find but if you PM me ill give you the address for the repo when i get a chance.

22. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I am nervous to use this too.....I am on the fence

23. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

has anyone gotten this to work in talkatone?

*edit: nevermind*

24. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Meh, I don't really have a problem with ads in the few apps I have that have them. I more care about it working in Safari, which it does, so whatever.