Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexzz123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
So I’ve been using wipr and it appears to have been draining my battery when using it on my m1 MBA. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know of an adblocker that doesn’t drain battery? I have a pi-hole that removes most of the ads. But a local adblocker helps when it’s not a DNS ad.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
While I don’t have my M1 yet - got to wait for Christmas for that :mad: AdGuard would probably be my recommendation too, it’s what I use on my iPhone and iPad, and it’s what I’ll be installing on my M1, if I decide to put one on.

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
I use Ka-block! (but I have found out it doesn't make that big of a difference since I installed Diversion on my router)

EDIT:// Ka-block! is available in the App Store if you want to give it a spin.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I bought Wipr last week and haven't had any battery drain at all. Are you using the M1 version?

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Did you tried https://apps.apple.com/de/app/adguard-für-safari/id1440147259?mt=12 ?
Adguard also offers a local Proxy
AdGuard is still on Rosetta, and the arm native build is targeted for 1.9

Reactions: alexzz123

alexzz123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I use Ghostery on Safari on my M1 MBA and battery life has been fantastic.
I tried it, but I found the ad blocking features to be limited, was I missing something during setup or do I need to pay for more ad blocking features?

Did you tried https://apps.apple.com/de/app/adguard-für-safari/id1440147259?mt=12 ?
Adguard also offers a local Proxy
What's your current battery life when using Adguard? How many hours are you getting?

Jeepguy01

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
I tried it, but I found the ad blocking features to be limited, was I missing something during setup or do I need to pay for more ad blocking features?

What's your current battery life when using Adguard? How many hours are you getting?
No, I use the free version of Ghostery Lite on the default setting. I never see ads.

vanasian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2013
I am just a regular user. I do a lot of web surfing, listen to music, watch movies and play some Facebook games. I used to have AdGuard but because I bought my base MBA m1, I wanted to take advantage of it to install universal app. I found Adblock pro for safari in the App Store. It's only 10 mb but I don't see any ads. My battery life is great. I used my MBA almost 6 hours and I still have 80%.

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Following as well. I want the best and most efficient way to disable these ads that I see EVERYWHERE. I only use safari on my new M1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.