General Adblocker

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by navodwickra, Jul 10, 2014.

1. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Does it work on 7.1.2? I've tried it yesterday but it doesn't block any adds other than safari. For an example it can't block adds in Moviebox.

2. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Flex works for blocking ads in movie box.

Adblocking only works as good as fast as it updates. Needs to be updating with new URLs constantly.

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I've had no problems with it working on 7.1.2.

4. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Ok, so I need to manually add those URLs then :(
    I'll try flex as the last option .

----------

Thanks, any third party apps which it blocks?

5. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I have never had luck with adblocker working with third party apps. But flex can block them as a per app basis.

6. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Well , I though it can because it has this app list which you can select which to block and which not to. Oh well I'll install Flex2 again then.

7. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I love flex2. It's like a Swiss Army knife.

8. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

What kind of ads is it not blocking for you? (I don't know movie box)

From the AdBlocker description:

"AdBlocker ... blocks image based ads in Safari and other apps which are using browser-like views (UIWebView) ... It does not block ads like iAds or AdMob. For that please add repo.yllier.net as repository to Cydia and get the free AdBlockerNetworks."

If it's not blocking UIWebView ads, then indeed something is wrong. But most third party apps that aren't specifically web browsers are probably showing iAds or AdMo, for which you need the AdBlockerNetworks.

AdBlockerNetworks is a free download, I'm not sure whether or not it requires having purchased the original AdBlocker to work (I have it)

9. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Yeah I used it on 7.0 when it was in beta stage.

----------

Thats the problem, I am not sure what kind of adds they are. I know it cant block any iAds but I cant tell the difference between other add types.

Any whore I ll try installing AdBlockerNetworks

10. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Just add this repo: http://repo.thireus.com and install his hosts blocker. Say goodbye to all ads!

FYI, he has a regular version called "Untrusted Hosts Blocker" and a Light version for older devices if you experience any network slowdown. I use the regular one on my 5s. It's the best modified hosts file available for iOS. Plus it's updated regularly.

11. dahauss macrumors regular

where do we find AdBlockerNetworks as I dont see it listed when I search?

Thanks..

12. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Thanks. I'm amazed at how many people do not use modified hosts files. I've been using these for at least a decade now on my computers including all my work laptops. I guess they're not as common as I always assumed.

In my opinion, don't bother with AdBlocker or the AdNetwork Blocker or whatever it's called. Just install one of the hosts files in my post and you'll be good to go.

Having said that, I also created a Flex 2 patch which modifies the settings app as well as modifying a folder in iFile. The purpose of it is to disable iAds system wide. It works fairly well but 99% of all ad blocking is a result of the hosts file.

Edit: I should note, disabling iAds via flex and modifying AdSheet in iFile causes issues with iTunes Radio. To fix it, you would need to undo the modification to AdSheet.

14. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

Can you manually provide me that flex patch? I'm not a fan, how would I disable it myself?

15. gotluck, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I do use a hosts blocker on my phone (android device) - adaway

I like adblocker & adblockernetworks, because they can be disabled easily if the website / app is broken by the adblocker. For example, ESPN videos will not play with adblocker enabled or host file blocking. (but for whatever reason, adblock extension on chrome desktop functions correctly)

So for my ipad, I prefer the easily disableable adblocker (can be enabled/disabled on a per app basis as well)

I believe host file blocking requires a reboot before taking effect, while i have a toggle in my control center to enable / disable adblock (but the app must often be closed and reopened, better than a reboot though)

FWIW

Android does not have an adblocker / adblocker networks equivalent, only straight up host blocking

I believe adblocker / adblocker networks is actually a glorified host blocker, but with per app based permissions, I'm not sure how they workaround the need to reboot. Probably something to do with it working through mobilesubstrate

I would wager that adblocker / adblocker networks has more overhead, it is a give and take, but the flexibility is nice imo

Dont hostblock on my PC either, prefer the browser extensions (which are essentially host blocks specific to the browser, rather than systemwide) easier to troubleshoot should problems arise with the specific site

16. navodwickra, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

I can't find host blocker, there is one called Hosts cleaner though.

edit:
    Installed untrusted hosts blocker and it works just fine. Thanks a lot ;)

17. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Add the repo repo.yllier.net and then search for it, that's where it's hosted.

18. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yup, definitely annoying when sites don't work correctly because of the hosts file.

That's why I also use the Hosts File FlipSwitch toggle for FlipControlCenter. It works perfectly. Hit a site that is being blocked? Just quickly toggle the hosts FlipSwitch and hit refresh and you're good to go!

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Really? For whatever reason I thought a reboot was required. Cool beans, learn something everyday
    I'm using a similar flip switch toggle for adblocker

20. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Which one of these are you using?

21. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I'll try. I recently installed 7.1.2. I backed up my flex patches but I need to transfer the file to my phone since I always restore as new. If I have time tonight I'll do that and then post it. I just haven't had time to put it on this device yet.

Edit: I do remember that one thing I did was to add ".bak" to the AdSheet folder. I think it's in stash>Applications or something like that. Just remember that it stops iTunes music from working. So you'll have to remove the .bak for it to work properly.

----------

The main one: Untrusted Hosts Blocker.

22. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Cool, I just installed it and I'll give it a whirl.

23. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Cool. I also highly recommend the FlipSwitch toggle too in my above post.

24. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I am still seeing some ads in safari. They're called adchoice

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

That works perfectly!