ADC Discount comparison to Student Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jebaloo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Hey, I thought that this might be of interest to some of you.

I paid for a Student ADC Membership which came to £65.

I then rang up and found out what the ADC pricing was for the MacPro and compared this to the usual student discount.

I specified the base model with the following adjustments:

ATI Geforce 8800
    500 GB Built it (instead of 320GB)
    Airport
    2 x 23" ACD Screens
    AppleCare (much cheaper on Student store, than ADC)

NORMAL pricing: £3356
    STUDENT pricing: £2764
    ADC pricing: £2853

So the student pricing for this is actually cheaper, but we worked out that this only because of the AppleCare which is heavily discounted for students, but remains at standard pricing on the ADC store.

If you're interested in joining the ADC, it's a great discount on usual prices, but if you're a student already, and you want AppleCare, you would be better going through the usual student store.

2. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Prices without AppleCare

Student AppleCare when bought with MacPro: £52
    Student AppleCare when bought seperately: £157
    Normal AppleCare: £199
    ADC AppleCare: £199

So without AppleCare, for the above configuration in the previous post, it works out £50 cheaper with the ADC discount.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You'll also only get discount on one screen with ADC.

4. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought, but the guy I spoke to said it would be fine just to have two screens. I guess they're quite commonplace these days.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Do your calculations account for the cost-difference between the relatively low price of a student ADC membership compared to the more expensive standard ADC?

6. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Did you include the display discount? Also, who cares if ADC Apple Care is more expensive. If you are a student, go buy your computer from ADC and get the cheaper Apple Care from the regular student store.

7. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

I was speaking to an apple phone dude, and I'm pretty sure he knew that I was a student ADC member. Laughably, he was the third person I spoke to, the previous two hadn't ever heard or ADC, and when I asked if they could put me on hold and check with their pals, they just said that no one had ever heard of it!

I had to explain was ADC stood for! Anyways, I'm pretty sure the ADC quotes I have mentioned above are of the student variant (if there is one).

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

9. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

The quote included the displays, and the discount was applied to everything.

You're right, it's no biggie that the ADC store doesn't discount AppleCare because you can technically later get Student AppleCare, but if you buy Student AppleCare separately from the product/s it is for, then it's price is no longer £52, it goes up to £157. Only £50 cheaper than ADC, and normal store AppleCare (for MacPro).

10. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

I missed this post, sorry.

Yes, buying hardware from ADC store and warranty from EDU store is no problem and is possible, but will result in a higher costing AppleCare than if purchased with the product (from the EDU store)

I think the answer is, if you want AppleCare, and you are a student, then you're better of buying through the EDU store.

I'm only posting this for info for other people. I'm buying through the EDU store as it works out cheaper for me.

11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! read carefully!!!!

Buy the HARDWARE @ the developer store
    Buy the WARRENTY @ the EDU store

then save LOTS