ADC hardware discount shipping time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ringoya, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ringoya macrumors newbie

The (Apple Developer's Connection) ADC hardware purchasing program discount of 20% is really a good deal offsetting the $500 select member fee to join if you're buying a MAC PRO, but according to the programs terms http://developer.apple.com/membership/pdf/hpp_terms.pdf
    it takes 4-6 weeks to get your hardware! Has anyone used the ADC discount and has it really taken 4-6 weeks? What exactly happens when you join to the moment you get your Mac Pro?

2. izibo macrumors 6502

Here is what happened for me. I purchased the ADC student membership in the morning. It took about 3 or 4 hours for it to get updated at the http://developer.apple.com/ (you will see it under assets when it has gone through). Your membership shouldn't need any other verification since you are purchasing the select account, but I had to send in a copy of my student ID and class schedule, which took them another half-day to process.

I was able to customize and purchase the Mac Pro later that evening. I went with the dual quad core 2.8 with an 8800GT, wireless keyboard and mouse, and airport.

The timeframe quote by the AppleStore is the likely shipping time. My ADC Mac Pro shipped in about 4 days and I got it about 8 days after I purchased it (shipped to Wisconsin).

3. ringoya thread starter macrumors newbie

That's fast! I wonder why they state 4-6 weeks in their terms? Perhaps it's outdated? I live in Tokyo so I wonder if they are just as fast. I am not a student and will have to purchase the $499 (59,000yen) package.

4. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I signed up for the student adc on the 13th fax my paper work in that day and on the 14th it was approved and i place my order for a macpro with a 8800 site said 5 to 7 days to get shipped but it ended up getting shipped that night and I had on the 20th.. So for me it shipped the same day I place my order..

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Don't worry about that statement, I don't know what it's about. The shipping time is the same as through the regular store.

6. ringoya thread starter macrumors newbie

Same same but different

I recently talked again to the ADC in Tokyo, Japan -- They do it differently than in the USA for hardware discounted purchases.

Instead of ordering on the online store, ADC hardware purchases must be made through the mail by written order.

Actually, this sounds just like the JAPAN I know: modern and cutting-edge, but bureaucratic procedures that make the Roman Empire look small.
    Japan is still dominated by mobile phone use, not conventional internet with computers.
    One man said 10 days for customized orders and another man said 3 weeks.
    One was Business Sales and another one was the ADC department. I am still spinning because they both said to call the Apple store for more information.
    Apple Japan is still a few years behind the US.
    Be careful! Unless you are a student, the savings may not equal the waiting time if you need the Mac Pro professionally.

7. jvernon macrumors newbie

Help with ADC Hardware Discount

You guys seem to know what you're talking about, so I figured I'd ask you. I am new to the world of Mac. I've been scrounging up money to buy a Macbook Pro for a while. I was excited to learn that as a student software developer I could get a decent discount. I purchased the ADC student membership last week and faxed in my verification (student ID, license, schedule) and my account is listed as active.

In the active assets page of my account, I only have my ADC Student Membership and ADC Mailing listed, no hardware discount. I thought I read that it had to be listed there for me to use it? Is it just implied that I have it because my student membership is active, or does it need to be explicitly listed there?

Any assistance you could give me would be great, and I would really appreciate it. I sent an email to ADC help, but that was 4 days ago and I haven't heard back. If someone could just give me some advice or a number to call the ADC, I would be grateful.

-JeffV

8. ringoya thread starter macrumors newbie

ADC discount

Hello jvernon...well, you should probably start a new "thread" so you;ll get more people helping you. Well, I am not sure about the student ADC...I had to cough up $500 for mine...but got a good discount and a free "I "apple" code" t-shirt!

You may have to all Apple customer service and ask them. I shouldn't speculate as to why you didn't receive it -- but when you do, it is there in your asset's box. If not, there must be a problem. The freeline for Apple has the ADC number. Actually I live in Tokyo and have no idea about your location. It's also listed everywhere on the apple.com site. Sorry I couldn't helo more. Good luck.

9. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

I was in the exact same quandary as you were/are...I emailed them and they responded to me fairly quickly stating that I did in fact have a hardware discount even though it was not listed in the assets.