Adc Hardware = No Warranty? No Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolb0yalex, Oct 26, 2008.

1. coolb0yalex macrumors member

i just checked the ADC site and it says there is absolutely no refunds and warranties available! I am so shocked because now I must find an alternative route on purchasing my college laptop because I know Apple computers die a lot, especially new products... so can anyone tell me if its true?

Is it true that ADC Hardware does not have warranty?

And may we buy AppleCare with that hardware?

2. itcomic macrumors member

I think no refund as the membership cannot be refund. Read all their terms again. It should state everything in detail, better than someone tell u one thing but it turns out to be another. If you want a college laptop, any laptop will be good, why mac ? unless you really like mac. Besides, I think mac laptop are too expensive for college students, unless you are rich.

3. thirtytwopaths macrumors member

Wrong, wrong, wrong..if you read the terms and conditions, it clearly states that there is no warranty on any of the software or items that they distribute to you. Any hardware purchases still have the same standard warranty and can be combined with apple care.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

:confused: Besides not being relevant to the thread, who are you to tell someone what's too expensive for them?

As thirtytwopaths points out, you are misunderstanding the terms and conditions. All of Apple's hardware comes with the exact same warranty no matter what discount you buy with.

5. sselemit macrumors member

Not to me, im a college student and i dont think it is expensive. You get what you paid for. Simple principle.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to stop thinking of the short run but rather of the long.

7. itcomic macrumors member

If he can afford it and prefer to use a mac because of functionality or style, he should buy a mac. I think I have stated that point but probably not clear enough. And whether someone will take my personal opinion to consideration or not, I think he knows what's best for him. It is just a personal suggestion in general and I also think that I have told him to carefully read the terms and condition again, maybe he read it too quickly and he missed certain important points. I think it is better to understand all the benefits and catch before making purchase through ADC. Again, it is just personal opinion, which I believe it is relevant to the thread to some extent (maybe not entirely or really helpful). I am not trying to start a thread for argument and just want to discuss mac problems peacefully. I am not trying to interfere anyone's action here but I think what I said its none of your business.

Peace out.

8. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your insights.
    I indeed do have the money for the laptop, but I wanted the best deal out of it. I have been using a mac for the last 2 years and I am NEVER switching back to PC because at this point, the Windows OS doesn't seem intuitive enough for me to jump back. OS X is so much better :D Again, thank you for clarifying the terms. I just think it was stupid to INCREASE the price of the educational computers.

I mean... c'mon, Apple. Don't raise prices! LOWER THEM!

9. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

But it is better to buy apple care from the education store afterwards as it is cheaper from there than the ADC store.

10. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tip. as long as I get my 15% off my MBP from ADC, i'm headed for it :D

but don't even get me started on how expensive the MBP Applecare is. it's like they're making you pay premium on top of the premium system ...

WHY MUST THE INTUITIVENESS BE SO EXPENSIVE????!!! lol

11. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

I just ordered the MBP.
    They didn't require me to BUY the ADC membership.... I can access the store though cuz I am part of the ADC online thingy.... does that mean I get the discount without buying my STudent membership? anyone?

12. augie93 macrumors newbie

as many users have posted in this forums before, Apple will CANCEL your order if you are not a confirmed ADC member (including if you've bought a student ADC membership and not verified your student ID).

However, as a very happy new MBP owner via ADC (and saved quite a few hundred bucks), I highly encourage it for students.

13. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

REALLY? THEY BETTER NOT CANCEL MY ORDER! I'M CALLING ASAP TOMORROW MORNING CUZ THAT WOULD BE CRAZY! I NEED THE LAPTOP ASAP. DAMN. I HOPE THEY WILL BE NICE ENOUGH TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER...

14. liuhui51511 macrumors newbie

a good friend of mine is working in apple and he told me that there are a very good number of return products for the new products just came out!
    so i would say go and get ur computer in one of the apple stores, its not the product you buy, and also the after care is so much better and direct!!

hope that answer ur question!

15. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Not sure who you're yelling at - you're the one who trying to short Apple by attempting to get the discount without paying for the membership. Not a good idea. You'll should get an email from in the Developer Hardware Purchase Program department soon mentioning that you need a hardware discount asset on your ADC account to purchase the computer, and the order will be placed on hold until you get a discount asset and clear it with them.

Silly newbiespeople. :rolleyes:

16. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

i definitely was NOT trying to SHORT apple by any means. I was just able to purchase items because I was already an ADC member, but I just didnt' buy the membership yet. Anyways, my order was put on hold. Then, there was a problem in the assets so it is now officially ALL A MESS. Why can't it be plain and simple and we bring in a code to buy at the Apple Store instead of this hassling process? i dont know. but whatever floats Apple's boat, I guess we all will have to follow.

17. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Being an "Online" ADC member just gets you access to download Xcode and the like. You're not going to get a free, 20% discount just for making an ADC account. You can only go through the online store exactly because of this reason - the brick-and-mortar Apple Stores can't access the ADC asset information, which is why all orders go through that one store and are cleared or held by Developer Relations based on whether you have an active discount asset.

http://developer.apple.com/faq/hwpp.html
    http://developer.apple.com/membership/pdf/hpp_terms.pdf

18. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I think it is you who needs to get your act together

19. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

did I say anyone's act wasn't together?
    i was merely criticizing the procedure and complications in purchasing the laptop.

20. Pneublet macrumors member

Yes, you specifically said you hope Apple gets their act together.

The procedure only has complications to those who do not read the rules. It says exactly what you need to do, word for word. You chose not to do so and now you're complaining. If you want the larger discount you have to PAY to be part of the program, and if you're joining as a student, you cannot purchase anything from the store UNTIL you send them proof of being a student. Quit complaining about the system when you would be getting a $400 discount just by following the rules that are clearly stated.

21. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Crap, I could've saved like $250 bucks if I had gone the ADC student route. Oh well, I'll know for next time. :p

22. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

actually the terms and conditions about the warranty and applecare is quite confusing if you READ the actual terms.... it states how you will not be given service on any hardware that malfunctions based on their software BLAH BLAH BLAH... in the end, I still think this system needs to be more efficient. I am not complaining about the system because it can be improved. Can people really not take constructive criticism in this forum?

23. Pneublet macrumors member

I agree with you that the warranty is a bit confusing and I was also confused. What you're complaining about and I responded to was that you had to cancel your order because you placed an order for an account you did not have. It clearly says you cannot order from the store until you receive confirmation after you fax them your information.

Your confusion on the clarity of the warranty is justified and isn't constructive criticism, it was a question. Your whining about your error is also not constructive criticism, it's just whining.

24. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member