ADC, non-student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmo19, Feb 19, 2009.

1. kmo19 macrumors member

I want the new MacBook Pro 17" ($2799). Looking into the ADC, I can pay $499 for a Select membership, which includes one hardware purchase per year. That would make the MBPro $2239 (figuring 20% off), which is more than a $500 savings. Why would I not do this?

Do I get to make a 20% off purchase every year for a one-time payment of $499? What is the catch?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I think its renewed each year, so you have to pay each year.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Not sure if you get 20% off each year, but you'd have to pay the subscription prices.

Why would you not do it? If you're not a developer and are just using it to get the fat discount. You'll have access to a bunch of source-code and stuff for developing. If you're into that stuff for work or whatever then yeah, you should do it.

4. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

I am a developer, so it sounds like a good deal for me. Other than the fact that I'd have to buy straight from Apple and pay the hefty sales tax since I live in CA.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How do you figure 20% off? Cuz the discount is actually only $400 for the 17" MBP.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You are limited to 1 hardware discount per year of paid subscription.

So you pay $499 for this year, you buy a computer, next year you buy computer, you need to pay the $499 again. If don't use your discount it doesn't get carried over.

7. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

How do you figure a $400 discount? When I load up the ADC store, I get a price for a stock 17" MBP of $2239, just as he said. 20%. The stock 2.4 15" MBP is $400 off, also a 20% discount off the normal $1999. Maybe that's what you were thinking.

8. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Don't forget about the taxes you're saving on since the price will be lower. Being a select give you other advantages, like getting developers tools, another leopard disk, access to the seed of futur OS, etc.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry, my mistake. I swear I was seeing $2399 but now when I look at it, it shows $2239. Must've been some glitch. :)