ADC Program - Buying a new MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Link2999, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I was thinking about joining the ADC Program before buying it because I heard that I could get a 10-15% discount. Is this true? Also, a few more things. I'm also want to use my education discount and the person who said that I can get the 10-15% discount on hardware also said that education discounts could be stacked onto the ADC discount but when I looked at the description for the ADC program it says:
    Code:
    "NOTE: To receive your discount, you must place the order through the ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store, NOT on any other Apple online store, retail location, or reseller. Purchases made outside of the ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store will not be re-booked or credited at developer pricing."
    That means the education discount cannot be added on right? Just a little confused. Also is there anything different about an ADC Program's hardware compared to regular hardware (because it's for developers)?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html
    No.

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I thought the Developer Program was changed recently to no longer include a hardware purchase program?

EDIT: Go down about half a page, Hardware discount is only available to existing ADC members who have not used their discount yet (within the year they signed up). The new Mac Developer Program has no discount on hardware.

http://developer.apple.com/programs/adcbenefits/faq.html

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still up, but now I'm just wondering pretty much the appx. discount I'd be getting with the discount, getting $100 off now with the normal student discount, price atm is $1,924. Then I'd have to pay $100 to get into the ADC so unless I'm paying less than $1,924 I don't see a need to join. (Also saw I could get $100 of a printer, so I'll just get a $100 printer too if I can add that on)

6. Geminix macrumors newbie

That's the page for existing ADC accounts. Their new developer program does not include a hardware discount any longer.

I got lucky and joined ADC Student about a month before they changed it, with the intention of getting a new MBP when they came out. Ended up saving me about $600 bucks :)

7. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Meh you're right, guess all I got then is the student discount...

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Price List

Here is a screenshot of the ADC store MBP Prices.

For some reason the 2.53Ghz is cheaper than the 2.4Ghz

AppleDevDiscountStoreMBP.jpg

9. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not too much difference from the education discount so that's good (for me since I can't get into the program now). Was going to get the 2.4Ghz anyways. (.13Ghz isn't worth X amount of dollars especially when you can up the 2.4 to a better Hard Drive for less.)

That's pretty strange though that the 2.53 is cheaper though.

10. unamused macrumors 6502

man, i wish i could get into this program... thats a 240 dollar savings compared to the student discount...

Plus, ive been wanting to try making some apps

11. Sequin macrumors regular

They should be more clear on the http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html page that the current offer isn't the same as before. That page says you can 'buy now' and anyone that does can go use the ADC discount store, but the buy now really leads to the new program. >/

12. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

It's because the discount system is still using the old way to give the discounts. And since the base 15" was upped $100 in the past refresh, the discount isn't what it should be. Take advantage of their mistake :D