ADC Questions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thegoldenmackid, Jul 4, 2009.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hello,

I have three questions regarding the ADC Purchasing Plan.

1. I was wondering how long after purchasing an ADC membership it takes to then purchase a "system"?

2. I know that in the past Apple has been much more strict about what is and isn't a student, but given the recent Back to School Promotion, they haven't been checking I.D.'s, what do I need to show to be eligible for the Student Membership? (To clarify, I'll be a freshman in college, I haven't received a Student ID Card yet...so, just wondering how the verification will go)

3. Apple says that it must be used for developing and testing? I assume that's not actually that relevant?

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Immediately.
    2. Student ID and current class schedule
    3. No, not really. They can't/don't check.

3. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thanks, I submitted the edit right after you posted. If I purchase it online do I just mail that stuff to them? And given I don't have a College Student I.D. or class schedule, we don't actually register until August, what shall I do?

Thanks.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I just took a picture of my schedule with my driver's license and student ID card sitting on top of it and e-mailed it to them.

And since you don't have it... you have to wait until you do. :eek::(

5. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

<insert expletive>

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Once they confirm that you are a student, and you have the purchase asset activated, you can purchase a machine right-then-and-there.

However, it may take them a while to get to your case.

I had to call several times to get mine activated, and it really depends on the person you get on the phone. I am not sure why, but a lot of the people there have Irish or Scottish accents. Maybe their center is there.

Anyways, they are pretty stringent about checking that you are a student, but not stringent as to whether or not you are a computer science major. In other words, I don't think they will care if you are a history major, so long as you can prove you are enrolled.

And your schedule MUST show that you are CURRENTLY enrolled. Since it is summer, your registration may show that you aren't enrolled for the current term--they will not activate memberships without you showing you plan to enroll for the next term. They won't even accept last term's enrollment info.

I sent them the spring term's schedule of classes, my ID, my license, and some other enrollment info and they would not accept it because it did not show I was currently enrolled.

I had to get something from the registrar that showed them I would be enrolled for the fall term.

7. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thanks, I emailed them just in case there would be any difference. It's not a terrible loss. I imagine I would purchase another computer at some point in the next four years.

8. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

What are the other benefits to the ADC student membership besides discount hardware purchase?

I read there's a welcome kit. For those that have already received the kit what's inside? :)

Do we get beta releases of software to test and provide feedback?

And just making sure, the hardware we are allowed to buy, it's brand new, correct?

The discount on some systems is small but on the 17" MacBook Pro and Mac Pro is quite good. :)

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Giant T-shirt.

There was, but not anymore. We were given a disk of the current version of OS X! So basically it was $30 off a full version of OS X, plus the hardware discount. :eek: You used to get a disk of monthly developer software, but BOTH stopped a long time ago.

Now you just get a piece of paper (the old one) that says you get a software disk (you don't) and a full version of OS X (you don't).

Oh, and the T-shirt. You still get that.

Only for Select and Premier, not student.

100%.

10. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thought I would share the following. It sounds like if I showed them registration for the full, which I have inquired about, I might be fine.

11. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just called Apple a wonderful person named Anthony quickly agreed to let me send in proof of payment to college amongst a couple of other suggestions that shows I will be going to college in the fall. Phone calls are awesome.