ADC Student Developer discount MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thisisalex90, Jun 25, 2009.

1. thisisalex90 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am entering college this fall and plan on purchasing a new 17" MacBook Pro. As of right now I can get the $200 student discount but a fellow developer friend of mine told me that I get $500 off if I use a ADC Student Developer account. I have been tooling around with the SDK and plan on creating some applications in the future so the ADC account would be of use but my question is that if I sign up now for the ADC Student Developer account am I able to turn around and use the discount right away or within a week? I do not want to spend $99 right now to find out I have to be a developer for 6 months before my discount is active.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have to have proof of enrollment (schedule and student ID) at a university, but can use your discount immediately after approval.

3. thisisalex90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently enrolled for the fall of 2009 and have a valid student ID but have not yet set my schedule. Is this enough to validate me?

4. Kumakun macrumors newbie

I did not hear about this, but I'm going to be a Computer Science student at UIUC and part of the reason I wanted to get a mac was to develop...out of curiousity, though, do you still get the free iPod/printer, or no?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, the ADC pricing has nothing to do with the education discount.

6. Kumakun macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can still get a printer, as that has absolutely nothing to do with the education discount.

8. Kumakun macrumors newbie

The printer rebate isn't available through the ADC store, is the only thing.

9. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I'm typing from my brand new 17" MBP (BTO with 7200 RPM upgrade) that I got for just $2039 with my $500 ADC discount. It's extremely simple and well-worth it, and should take you no more than a few days.

1.) Go to http://developer.apple.com/products/membership.html

2.) Add the student developer account to your cart, purchase it.

3.) Once your account is set up, it needs to be activated(by confirming your student status) before you get your hardware discount. To do this, just email a scan(in jpg or pdf format) of your driver's license or similar photo ID, and your university class schedule to devprograms@apple.com

4.) Call up the ADC developer line and tell them that you submitted your student details and need them to activate your account so you get your hardware discount asset.

5.) Place your order through the developer store(http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html).

That's it! It took me about 3 days, but I found out that if you call them and have them find your information you can actually do it much faster(probably a day).

By the way, I know nothing about developing. The ONLY requirement for the program is to have a current standing status in any college/university. Meaning, ALL you have to do is be a student, and you get $500 off. Hope this helped.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, it is. Or at least it was in March.

11. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Is it 20%, or a straight $500 off the baseline 17" MBP?

I wonder how much off canadian.

And that is a discount off of the regular price, not the educational price right? Can you get a free ipod touch?

12. thisisalex90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the explanation. As I am an incoming freshman I do not have my schedule yet but I do have a student number, many many letters, a school email, and my acceptance letter. Is there a way that this info is enough for them to verify?

13. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Yup, definitely. They're very nice about it and will definitely take that information. Give them whatever you can and make sure you give them a phone call after, it really speeds things up.

14. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

It's 20% I think. And that's the discount off the regular price. You CAN'T combine this with the free ipod touch offer, unfortunately. Also, the developer discount is only available online(not in store).

It definitely trumps the educational discount though. Bottom line is, if you're getting a 13", just go for the regular educational discount. If you're getting a pricey 15", or 17", or even a desktop or something else expensive, DEFINITELY use the ADC discount.

15. Kumakun macrumors newbie

Whoa, my bad. You are correct. It just happened that the printer I clicked on didn't have the box. o_O

16. Kumakun macrumors newbie

Originally I was deadset on getting the 13" but this changes things completely. I just can't decide if I need that extra portability or not...

17. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Apple always finds a way to screw people. I don't know if the ADC is a good deal or not.

Take this for example... all in CANADIAN prices.

1) bottom end 17" without student discount = $2899
    20% ADC discount = $580
    cost of membership = $100

Total price = $2420

2) bottom end 17" with student discount = $2650

Free ipod touch resale value - $200
    printer mail in rebate - $100.

Total price after rebates = $2350

So the student way is actually a better deal. The ONLY way the ADC is a good deal is if A) you really need the ADC membership for school developing stuff, or B) it is during the year when the back to school promotion is not in effect and you really need a system.