ADC student Discount - how, when, who?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thinkband, Jan 17, 2008.

1. thinkband macrumors regular

Hello,

I am currently finishing up my senior year in high school (1 more semester) and I plan to get the ADC offer. I have a few questions about this.

1) Can anyone get this who is 18 and is a college student. I read something about the product that said you needed to be into development or whatever.

2) When exactly can you apply for membership and buy your product? I have already been accepted to my college but all of the college process stuff gets started off in june or so. Can I just send an acceptance letter to them or do I need to be attending the college before I can claim my laptop.

3) Can I claim my ADC discount at an apple store of only online?

4) The ADC website noted that there is no warranty on the product (laptop). Can I still buy Apple care and get a 3 year warranty?

Thanks everyone for the help. :D

2. itou macrumors regular

you're obviously no developer. don't go ADC just for the discount and ruin it for everybody else.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

1. To get the student ADC, you must be 18 and be enrolled in a college.

2. You must show proof of enrollment (current or future clase schedule, your
    bill for the college, etc.) and your studetn i.d. or passport.

3. You must order ADC online and go through the verification process before they send you your starter kit and your 1-per-lifetime hardware discount is activated.

4. You indeed get warranty on your computer. The catch is that Apple will not cover any harm you do to it because of you developing programs (which you don't have to do). All hardware is still covered.

Any student can get ADC. This does not "ruin" this for anyone. It is perfectly fine to buy it purely for the discount.

4. thinkband thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Capi,

Alot of good clarification. My main question really is if I have to wait until I am actually in college before I can go through this process. I am 18 and have been accepted to my college and I could just show them my acceptance letter. Or, do I need to be physically in college to get this discount?

5. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i believe they want a transcript and id.

6. DarkFlame macrumors regular

How much is this discount, I already get 100 off through my school and then like 30 or so off accessories depending on how expensive they are. I was wondering if it was worth it to get ADC and if I can do both at the same time.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

ADC discount is about 20% compared to 10%ish with just educational. Google is your friend...it's very easy to go to the ADC store and price everything for yourself.

8. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

you also have to remember that there is a $100 enrollment fee to get that discount... unless you get a MBP or MP, it's not really worth it

9. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

The ADC discount varries. You get a higher percent off for a more expensive computer. I believe the base Macbook is $969 but a base Macbook Pro is $2599.

Yes, pretty much it is not worth it unless you get a Mp or a MBP. I even checked the prices of the MBA and you get a very poor discount even on the $3k model. The membership is worth it if you have another Mac that needs Leopard, because you get a copy also. This is why this method was very attractive to me.

10. conancn macrumors member

My school sells leopard for 69, can't see you reason.:rolleyes:

11. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

As does mine. The first reason to get it was for the 20% discount on =thye Macbook Pro I will be buying. My sister's Macbook needed Leopard so I saved her $70 by giving her my Leopard copy.