ADC Student Hardware Purchase Program?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goldfire, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Goldfire macrumors member

Goldfire

I'm planning on buying a new Macbook Pro (customized to around $2750 with student discount applied), and I was fishing around on Google before I made my order to see if there were any additional discounts I could find when I stumbled across the ADC Student Hardware Purchase Program. I have read on several forums and blog posts that you can get a 20% discount on top of the student discount, but I can't seem to find anything on Apple's site backing this up. I am indeed a university student and am also a developer, so I should be eligible for this. However, I don't want to pay the $99 to find out the discount won't actually apply or save me as much as it looks like it could. Anyone have any information on this or know where I can get more information on this?

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Here is a link to the store. It's definitely not what you have been told, but it's a huge discount on high-end machines.

4. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

I have looked at that page, but it still doesn't say what the discount actually is. Also, I don't see it saying anywhere on there that it doesn't stack. I am a junior right now, so my eligibility for this will be running out in a little over a year anyway.

5. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Thanks for the link, but it says "Unable to enter the requested store." Mind telling me the discount given to a 17" MBP?

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Last I checked the 17" MBP, today, the stock model was discounted to $1999

Unfortunately the new iMac are only discount $100 more than the standard edu discount. Add the $99 Student ADC membership, and it's the same price as standard edu.

7. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Wow, well unless I am missing something, that would still save me around $200 after the $99 compared to the regular student discount.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You also get a free T-Shirt.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

This sounds very interesting, Not heard of it before, Has anyone used the student ACD in the UK? what % do you get off iMacs?

12. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Thanks, though that one doesn't work for me either. I think what I've heard is enough to warrant paying the $99, so thanks everyone for the help!

13. Aboo macrumors 6502a

The reasons that the link to the ADC store doesn't work is because you are not allowed to link directly to the ADC store. If you want to browse it yourself, go to this link:

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

and then click the "ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store" link within the text body.

14. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Hmm so I bought the ADC Student thing, and it is letting me buy with the discount without verifying that I am a student.

15. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Is anyone able to pay that 99$ and purchase it at the cheaper price if they are at University?

16. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I see for the UK it costs £69. Can someone tell me how much I would save on the iMac 27inch quad core base model £1599? with ACD?

17. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Well I just got $720 off on my Macbook Pro, so I'm definitely happy with that:)

18. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I can get University discount already, so Im just wondering which works out cheaper if I was to get an iMac and apple care with University discount as the applecare is only £49 when purchasing a machine.

Or doing it through ADC program whether it will work out cheaper. The lady I spoke to said it's between 5-20% but I'd like to know a definate answer before purchasing.

19. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Okay so I don't really understand what is going on. I haven't even activated ADC yet, but it let me place my discounted order. I never got an e-mail confirmation, but it shows up on my order status page.

20. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Ignore my question, Im going with the standard Uni discount, Just spoke to a rep and she said I'd be better of with that as it works out cheaper.

21. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Your order will be on hold, and then you will get an angry email from someone at the developer department who will say that you order will be automatically cancelled if you don't submit your credentials within a certain period of time.

22. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Okay well I have since activated it and verified that I am a student, so hopefully it doesn't delay it too much. I assumed it wouldn't let me order without being activated.

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You will eventually get an e-mail. Try calling ADC directly, they are very nice and helpful.