ADC Student Member

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dripdk, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dripdk macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've just ordered a "ADC STUDENT MEMBERSHIP", but I'm really confused reguarding the delivery. Will I get the activation code in a email or in a letter?

Thanks in advance.

2. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I am rather confused about what this is. Is there anyway you can explain what it is, the benefits, and who qualifies. I read the thing on the apple.ca site, but I still don't totally understand. The only thing I've understood is there is a nice discount. But I don't get what it's for lol.

3. dripdk thread starter macrumors newbie

You've got to be in college and over the age of 18. The benefit is a one time hardware discount (20% - the bigger purchase, the better!). You'll also receive the latest Mac OS version (e.g. Snow Leopard when it comes out in January).

4. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Nursing student, and 19, turning 20 in a couple months ;)

But there has to be more to it then that. My understanding of what you just said is that the normal price is the same (ie low end MBP 2,149), and you get 20% off your total cart value when you order? Do you still get the 100 off with the student discount ontop of that (ie. low end MBP 2,049)?

5. dripdk thread starter macrumors newbie

No, you have to call the ADC store to order, and then tell them about your specific config, then they will calculate a price and subtract 20%. There is no student discount ontop of that, but you pay 99$ and get Snow Leopard for free, so I think the ADC Student Discount is the best offer.

6. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I thought you ordered online? So instead of BTO online you have to call them and do it over the phone? Sounds like a pain in the butt.

Edit: Sorry, I've made this go way off topic. I just need a new laptop really really soon, and I lack the funds, so I was curious lol

7. dripdk thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't ordered yet, I'm waiting for my ADC Student Membership to become active (which I ordered online). Well, I wouldn't call it a pain, since you save a lot on it.

8. Lyrrad macrumors member

I'm confused by this. In the ADC online store, some models give a 20% discount (MacBook Pros), but the MacBook Airs only give a 10% discount, which makes the ADC student discount not that great a deal for the MBA. Is there a better price given over the phone?

9. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I'm assu orer to check prices you have to have a membership right? Which means I have to pay $100 just to check to see if it's worth it? So can anyone sign up for this? Like what is the reason for it's existance. Why are they giving a discount? Basically what's the purpose :p

10. Lyrrad macrumors member

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

There's a link to the ADC store there. I assume those are the prices you get by ordering by phone. It looks like it's only worth it to get the education ADC discount on the MBP's.

11. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

it tells me I must log in with my ADC info.

12. Lyrrad macrumors member

I clicked on the link that says: "ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store". I don't have a ADC account and I didn't have to log in to see the prices.

13. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Ah that worked. Thanks for answering my stupid questions :D