ADC to DVI 23'' Cinema Display issue/help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by donald4519, Apr 14, 2013.

1. donald4519, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

donald4519 macrumors newbie

I just purchased an ADC to DVI adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Apple-M8661LL-Display-Adapter-4038234011420/dp/B00011KHT2) and was looking to hook this up to my Xbox 360 since I had no other use for my 23'' Cinema display. It isn't currently working as the display currently is flashing on the power button and the screen is black. (I'm running my Xbox to a HDMI->DVI converter that I then plug into the converter's cable)

If there are any fixes to this problem ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you much!

edit: Also, it works when I run the cable to my macbook and connect the ADC to DVI adapter to a DVI to mini-display port connector.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're getting that flashing light because the screen has a hardware problem. What is the flashing light sequence?

3. donald4519 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's three flashes separated by a fairly long pause. I tested the hdmi to DVI converter separately and it is functional.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I believe that indicates a problem with the inverter or internal power supply. I think it's an inverter. Those are about $50-$100 to replace.

5. donald4519 thread starter macrumors newbie

even if the monitor is working when used with a macbook?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it does work correctly with a Macbook, try plugging it into the Xbox with the video cable going to the Xbox. I think the ADC screen needs a USB connection to activate. I don't think the Xbox's USB is able to properly activate the screen, but you can try it.

7. macalec macrumors 6502

I have the ADC connector, it does indeed need an active USB connection. I am not sure why.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because the USB controls the backlighting, screen sleep functions, and one of the touch buttons.

9. donald4519 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried connecting the usb to both the laptop and a iPhone charger plugin and neither has helped. Furthermore, it's important to note that when it's plugged into the macbook and functioning the USB is NOT plugged in.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Xbox may not be sending the proper activation signal to the ADC display. It likely won't work without building a direct adapter of your own.

11. donald4519 thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea how I would do that or if anything like that is available for purchase? I already invested a lot in this setup and might as well see it through (if possible...).

Appreciate the feedback.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Strip down the cable from the screen and solder on a DVI cable to the right wires and hope it works.

13. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

The OP would still need to find a way to provide power to the display (the ADC<->DVI adapter not only acts as a physical cable adapter, but also is a power supply for the display - the Macs the screen was originally intended for provided the power through the graphics card)

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A G4 Cube's power supply is a good choice as it provides the correct power requirements to power the screen.