ADC to DVI connection giving me no signal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Raynee, May 2, 2009.

1. Raynee macrumors newbie

Noob, sorry. I just hooked up my TV to my Mac using an ADC to DVI converter and a very long DVI to DVI. I'm getting a no signal message from my TV. I'm really new to Macs and therefore I'm sure I'm just missing a really simple way to change the display settings to output to both monitor and TV. I can't find any advanced display settings of any kind. I swear I tried to search the forums, but I couldn't find a thing. Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your Mac should be automatically connecting to the external display. Is the TV set to use the DVI input? You can see if things are working on the Mac side by going to  -> System Preferences -> Displays. If so, you should see an Arrangement tab that looks something like this:

Attached Files:

3. Raynee thread starter macrumors newbie

Just Not Working!

I found some display advice on apple.com (hold down command, option, p,r during start-up) and it worked, at first. It brought up my desktop on the TV screen and my computer monitor was the empty right screen. I went back into displays and now it does have an arrangement tab. I tried to play with the arrangement, including checking the mirror windows tab. This caused the image to drop off my TV completely and only appear on my monitor no matter how many times I power cycle and hold down the above combo. Any ideas?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just a guess, but I suspect that your TV doesn't support your monitor's screen resolution. Go to the Arrangement tab and uncheck mirror displays. If it's still not working, go back to the Display tab and click Gather Windows. Your TV's setting should appear as well, at which point you can change the resolution to something that it supports.

5. Raynee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

This advice was very helpful. I did need to change m resolution to get my TV to pick up the signal. Unfortunately, now I have to toggle back and forth between resolutions, but I guess you can't have everything! :)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's because you shouldn't be using mirror displays when using a TV. Disable that option and your TV should go back to displaying nothing but your desktop picture. You can then drag windows onto it from one edge of your screen. You can reconfigure the layout of the displays on that panel, which will affect which side of the monitor your mouse moves from. What do you want to do with the TV? Play videos I assume?