ADC to DVI or ADC to mini display adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by herophelia, May 5, 2010.

1. herophelia macrumors newbie

i have an old display that i'm trying to use as a second screen. it's ADC, so what i need is a female ADC to male DVI or mini display adapter.

now, i'm biting the bullet and i realize i'll have to shell out at least 100 bucks, but is there any option other than the official apple option?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8661LL/B

i know i'll need something with external power, and so it'll be bulky. that's not my problem. my problem is that (as you can see in the comments in the link) the apple adapter doesn't let the display go to sleep, and that's no good for me.

so, i'm asking those more in the know than i am. what are my other options? i'm even willing to spend a little more money if i have to to get something that will give the display a rest when i'm not using it.

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure the Apple DVI to ADC adapter is the only one out there for using an ADC display with a DVI video card. I spent a lot of time looking a year ago when I bought a MacPro and decided to keep using my ADC display. The Apple adapter was the only one I could find then and I'm sure there haven't been any new solutions introduced in the meantime.