Add 2nd SSD for Lightroom

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dafke, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Hey folks, I was thinking about adding a second SSD to my 2012 (2.3 Ghz i7, 16 Gb RAM, 512 Gb Samsung 840 Pro) Mac Mini. Want to install it internally to have maximum speed and USB ports.
    I want to add it to speed up Lightroom and am wondering which configuration would work best.

1) Lightroom preview and cache files on new 250 Gb SSD - OS, program files and docs on existing 512 Gb SSD - Raw images on existing external USB HDD.

2) OS and program files on new 250 Gb SSD, Lightroom preview and cache files and Raw files on existing 512 Gb SSD - other documents on external USB HDD

3) Create a Raid 0 setup with new 500 Gb SSD and existing 512 Gb SSD for everything exept Raw files, they will go on external USB HDD.

Any recommendations on the choice of setup, or tips for another setup will be very welcome!

2. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Is it not worth considering a larger SSD, giving the hassle of opening it up? Even for option 1 and 2 is consider it.

I've the same mini with a home made fusion drive (128GB SSD and 1TB mechanical HD) when I upgrade the SSD I'll get a 500GB or a 1TB and use it as 2 drives, not in a fusion setup.

3. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Thanks, KrisLord, I'll consider doing that. The Samsung 850 EVO is pretty well priced nowadays, so why not.

I've read quite a few other tests and forums on the subject of putting 2 SSD's in RAID 0 and the general consensus seems to be that it's not worth it (not a lot of speed gain in Lightroom usage and higher risk on data loss).

I'll probably keep the OS and Apps on the 1st drive and the catalog files on the 2nd. Think I'll keep the RAW files on the external HDD.

4. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

For anybody who's thinking about a similar upgrade I wanted to let you know my findings after the upgrade.

I installed a second SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 500 Gb) this week and installed El Capitan 10.11.1 on it. Migrated apps and data with the assistant and after checking everything is there and working I formatted the old SSD. Put the lightroom catalog and cache on it, as well as the RAW files (needed the external HDD for extra backup).

After all that I started up Lightroom and was curious to see if it would be any faster, particular in Development mode. I notice some better response on rendering and zooming but not very much. Can't say for sure it's because of the extra SSD or El Capitan. The improvement in speed in Lightroom is not really worth the cost and effort but I'm happy with the extra internal storage.
    I'll move the RAW files to an external USB drive later on, maybe that will help another small bit.