Add 3,5 " internal disc to late 2013 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dougio, Dec 11, 2013.

1. dougio macrumors newbie

Hi, I´ve just mounted an internal 3,5 " Seagate 3 tb disc in my late 2012 imac. The Imac registeres an error, but it finds the disc.

I´m new at this forum, but I´ve found some threads regarding sensors in the orignal applediscs.

What will the consequences be, other than some more fan-noise?

2. dougio thread starter macrumors newbie

means late 2012 of course..no one with experience?

3. Bear macrumors G3

You said "Registers an error" it might get you some help if you actually included the error.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Other than that fan running at full speed all the time, it won't hurt anything. You can get a replacement cable with a workaround for the sensor issue or you can run this software to slow the fan.

I suppose the fan running at full speed all the time would make it wear out sooner.

5. dougio thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a friend that has an app that scans through the Imac, to check the different hardware..and it registerer "error" with the harddrive..of course- it´s not original:)

It finds the disc, but the fan is working "hard"..

----------

aha, okey- since I have an original SSD-disc, maybe I ought to appreciate the silcence, and rather have an external disc, when I need it:)

Thanks for the answers guys!

6. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

You should read this article.

I'm not sure if this applies for the 2012 and up iMacs...

I personally upgraded my 2011 27" iMac's internal drive and as the article stated, the fans revved up to max... So I ended up purchasing this kit.... The fans haven't revved up at all...

7. dougio thread starter macrumors newbie