Add 3,5 " internal disc to late 2013 imac

dougio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Hi, I´ve just mounted an internal 3,5 " Seagate 3 tb disc in my late 2012 imac. The Imac registeres an error, but it finds the disc.

I´m new at this forum, but I´ve found some threads regarding sensors in the orignal applediscs.

What will the consequences be, other than some more fan-noise?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi, I´ve just mounted an internal 3,5 " Seagate 3 tb disc in my late 2012 imac. The Imac registeres an error, but it finds the disc.

I´m new at this forum, but I´ve found some threads regarding sensors in the orignal applediscs.

What will the consequences be, other than some more fan-noise?
Other than that fan running at full speed all the time, it won't hurt anything. You can get a replacement cable with a workaround for the sensor issue or you can run this software to slow the fan.

I suppose the fan running at full speed all the time would make it wear out sooner.

dougio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
I have a friend that has an app that scans through the Imac, to check the different hardware..and it registerer "error" with the harddrive..of course- it´s not original:)

It finds the disc, but the fan is working "hard"..

----------

aha, okey- since I have an original SSD-disc, maybe I ought to appreciate the silcence, and rather have an external disc, when I need it:)

Thanks for the answers guys!

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
You should read this article.

I'm not sure if this applies for the 2012 and up iMacs...

I personally upgraded my 2011 27" iMac's internal drive and as the article stated, the fans revved up to max... So I ended up purchasing this kit.... The fans haven't revved up at all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.