Add 50 Pounds to your Bench Press (Absolute Bench Press)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MagGus, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MagGus macrumors newbie

After trying out most of the gym apps on the app store and only finding workout logs or exercise videos etc, I gave them all up and decided to do my own: Absolute Bench Press

What I more specifically was trying to achieve was an application that not only logs your workouts but really helps you progress towards a set goal. By using a progressive overload formula you will with this app gain around 50 pounds in the Bench Press in just 7 weeks. The most significant part though is probably the Failure Tests throughout the program. The workout schedule will adopt depending on how you perform on them, up or down or just stick to the program.

It’s hardcore, it will defiantly test your willpower, but it works. I followed this program in my 20ies and managed to improve my Bench Press from 220 to 270 in about 2 months. I am still lifting around 250 now 10 years later.

Let me know your thoughts and I might put in the next update.

/Mag

2. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

nice app, but who really wants to be 'that guy' at the gym who is carrying around his phone the whole time?

3. MagGus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I do actually see quite a few people in my gym with an itouch or iPhone, for music I guess. I myself always used to have a pen and paper with to log my workouts and the iPhone as a music player.

4. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

yes no problem. a spreadsheet/pen & paper is what i have used in the past with my ipod nano for less weight/distraction during my workouts.

5. ineisa macrumors newbie

How about for females? Is it appliceble? It looks like its mostly male oriented. I cant lift much on the bench press, will it accept low kg inputs?

6. MagGus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the interest, well its non gender specific. However, it requires you to currently be able to lift an Olympic bar. Of course it might be a bit tricky to reach the full 50 pounds improvement if you currently only can lift about 50 pounds! But I have put people on this program that could only do 140 pounds and after they lifted around 200.

There is an option for KGs or pounds in the setup page.

/Mag

7. ineisa macrumors newbie

ok thanks for the reply, I might give it a try. At the moment I have tried all the other gym apps and so far I have not found one that is how I would like it. Yep, I am picky. I know that this one is bench press oriented but I can customise my program on there, correct? Also, some others look horrendous and I am ashamed to show my gym buddies, this one from what I saw on the website looks cool and well, that helps.

8. ccf macrumors regular

I haven't looked at the app yet, but if you're going to failure, I'm assuming you need a spotter.

I want to start working out again at home, but I'm afraid my wife couldn't lift the bar off me, LOL. The ol' tilt one side off in an emergency doesn't work too good in a spare bedroom. :)

Do you have a program that works without a partner?

9. MagGus thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha ha I hear you! Well for this program we are talking about maximizing you 1 REP MAX and that requires either a spotter (you shouldn’t need that much help really, since you add on weight in small increments) or a Smith machine, but I doubt you have that in your spare bedroom.
    However, If you are alone I guess you go for it 95% (almost to failure) and just let the program help you stay motivated since it will keep on adding weights according to a formula that has been tested over and over again.

10. MagGus thread starter macrumors newbie

Pardon my late reply, but yes, although the app is pre-programmed with a specially designed workout schedule you can modify the workouts pretty much exactly as you want.

Delete unwanted exercises and/or add exercises by just naming your exercise and pick the category:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]