Add a 2nd Airport Express - *Just* to extend Wireless coverage (no streaming)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Azzin, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I've got an Airport Express connected to my amp in the living room, connected to our wireless network.

It works well and is only used for streaming music to the speakers in the living room using the Remote app, no wireless extending/bridging/whatever other terms Apple use for an AE!

We have BT Infinity (FTTC BB) and the Home Hub 3 (router) is right at the front of the house, behind the front door.

The existing Airport Express (that is actually currently out of action as we have only just switched over to Infinity and needs re configuring with the new Home Hub! :eek:) is about half way back through the house in the living room.

Now then, we get poor wireless coverage at the very back of the house.

I've got a gift voucher and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd AE to plug in by the back door, in the hope that it will simply extend the wifi coverage-no music streaming, HD video streaming or anything like that.

Just simply to offer wireless coverage for when SWMBO wants to work in the garden (obviously not at this time of the year though!!), as coverage is very weak by the time you get to our patio area.

Am I opening the door to a world of pain, or can this be done easily?

The reason I emphasise the "easily" bit, is that I had a bit of a "challenge" (to say the least) getting our existing Airport Express set up initially (don't ask!).

As I said, the 2nd AE will be used solely to extend wireless coverage to the garden, no music streaming etc.

I should probably add that we are an all Windows 7 household, no Macs.

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 and SWMBO has an iPhone 3GS.

Cheers.

2. laxman101 macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, the AE can only extend the network if the router is an apple product (i.e. extreme, time capsule). So you might be out of luck if you want to extend your current network with the AE.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ah-nothing like falling at the first hurdle!!

Cheers.