Add a external drive for additional storage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hrlazar, Jan 30, 2014.

1. hrlazar macrumors newbie

I have a iMac with a 500G HD that is almost full.. I want to add an external drive and move all my photos to it.. I have over 300G of photos and shoot in RAW.. I import in iPhoto but do editing in Photoshop Elements 12.. I backup using Timemachine and would like to setup the HD so that its works like the original HD.. Any suggestions and directions on how to do this would be appreciated..

2. jmiddel macrumors member

You will need to make a clone, which Timemachine does not do. Use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, you can set them up to backup nightly.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just copy your iPhoto library from your Pictures folder to a folder on the external drive. Then hold the option key the next time you start iPhoto and choose the new library location as your default.

Time Machine by default will exclude external drives from backup, so make sure you go into your Time Machine settings and remove the external with the photos from the exclude list.

4. hrlazar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.. Once i have copied it to the external drive, can i delete the one on the internal drive?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you can. Might want to wait until you are sure the data on the external made it into at least the first Time Machine backup though before you do that.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. hrlazar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for your response on this question... Now I would like to expand this and move all of the folders and files that appear in the photos folder over to the external drive.. think that there is 300G in total including iPhoto.. can it be done the same way?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... just drag whatever you want from that folder over to the external.

9. hrlazar thread starter macrumors newbie

Life can be so simple with the Macs its scary... thanks again..

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

WHY???

Just plug in the new drive, move your iPhoto library and then tell iPhoto where you moved it. That's it.

OK, you may want to add a larger Time machine drive. The drive you use for TM should be at least 1.5x or 2x. You can have two or even more TM drives. So add the larger one iff need be (I'd just go and get a 4TB drive for TM and a 2 or 3 TB drive for your photos.)

The drive four photos should be as fast as you can afford and speed does not mater for the TM drive