Add a keyboard shortcut for a menu bar app?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcdj, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I use Macbiff to check my email. I guess you'd say it's a background app; it has no dock icon or cmd-tab icon; it resides solely in the menu bar. To check email, I have to click its menu bar icon and select Check Now from the drop down menu. I have created a keyboard shortcut for "Check Now", but I can't figure out a way to give the app focus in order to use the shorcut, aside from clicking the icon, which obviously defeats the purpose. FN-ctrl-F8 gets me to the menu bar, but not to Macbiff...this only works for OS based menu bar items, not 3rd party apps.

Aside from a 3rd party keyboard app, is there a way to do what I'm trying to do? 3rd party apps don't see Macbiff as a running application anyhow.

Thanks!

mcdj

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

hrid part program? Why since you can make your own (with included system software) by going to System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse, the "keyboard Shortcuts" tab. once there click + button and use the Finder box to find the program you can assign the desired shortcut to.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I have already configured the shortcut. But I can't use it because the app runs in the background, thus I can't give it focus.