Add a Linux partition while not disturbing Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lgwells1, Mar 11, 2015.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have had issues in the past when adding an extra partition after my OS X and Bootcamp partitions, where it would break Bootcamp. I want to add a third bootable partition with Fedora 21, what is doable without reinstalling OS X/Bootcamp first?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Wow, I forgot about that stuff.

2011 Macbook Pro 13"
    OS X Yosemite
    Win 7 Pro

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's possible, but not without advanced partitioning. The problem is that your hard drive is formatted as a hybrid GUID/MBR drive and MBR drives cannot have more than 4 primary partitions. You currently have four, EFI, Recovery, OS X, and Windows. You can install Linux, but you would end up with an unbeatable Windows installation that you would have to correct by moving it and Linux into a partitioned extended logical partition.

5. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I currently don't have a Recovery partition, so could I add Linux and it should work?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you are absolutely sure you do not have one, it may work.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I don't think it's possible to have a third partition with Win 7. You need Win 8.1 or the new Win 10 preview for it to work.
    I am triple booting Yosemite with Win 10 preview and Linux Mint.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Also not possible if Windows 8.1 and 10 are on Ivy Bridge or earlier Macs.

Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs do not support the UEFI 2.0 standard. Only Haswell and later Macs support UEFI 2.0, and henceforth Windows in native UEFI.

On Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs, Boot Camp will use hybrid GPT-MBR, causing the 4 partition limitation to occur. On Haswell and later Macs, Boot Camp will use pure GPT.

9. doynton macrumors 6502

Actually it is possible as the limit is for MBR not GPT and they need not match. You can have 100 GPT partitions if you want as long as you define a protective MBR partition covering partitions partitions 4-100. You'll then only be able to see the 1st 3 partitions in Windows but can still boot any of them. Alternatively you can make your MBR stop after the 4th GPT partition and the rest will show as unallocated space in Windows.

You just have to make your MBR partition table manually using GDISK or something.