Add a non-Verizon iPhone 6 to their database

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DeanLubaki, Nov 4, 2014.

1. DeanLubaki macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm travelling soon in the US and I don't want to use AT&T nor T-Mobile. In a previous thread, I've been told my device won't work on Verizon unless my MEID is in their database.
    So is there any known way to add it?
    I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if an employee could add it!

Thanks!

2. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

You need an active Verizon SIM to be able to use the phone on Verizon's network. I don't know if anyone would risk their job to help you out; even if handsomely paid. Good luck.

3. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

You need to go to a third party Verizon re-seller. Not a Verizon Corporate store. The third party stores will sell you an activated sim card for a small fee. AFter you get it, assuming your iphone 6 is unlocked, pop in the sim and you should be good to go.

4. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors regular

So actually all I need is a SIM? Even if my iPhone is not in their database?
    Or do I need an actually Activated SIM?
    I was thinking about buying one on eBay so I could activate it over the phone or online before I cross the border.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The SIM needs to be active on VZW's network (i.e. tied to an actual postpaid or prepaid account). You can then pop it into an unlocked iPhone 6.

6. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so it needs to be activated with a registered Verizon phone before I swap it in my iPhone? I'm sorry but I'm a little bit confuse with how Verizon works for the activation as they seem to refuse to activate non-Verizon phones on their network even if the phone is compatible.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

If you can get a VZW store or (more likely) authorized retailer to give you an activated SIM with no phone, it should work right away. In my case, I purchased a used VZW iPhone 5C from a seller on Swappa, and then swapped the SIMs with my T-Mobile iPhone 6.

The phone showed up as an "unknown" device, but everything, from VoLTE to the CDMA radio, worked just fine. VZW is a hybrid CDMA/LTE network. They aren't like AT&T or T-Mobile who are used to selling activated SIMs with no phones. They still prefer to tie an MEID from a whitelisted phone (which the AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones 6s are not, even though they are compatible).

Do you already have a VZW line? If so, you can take the SIM out of your existing phone. If not, my suggestion is to assume liability on one of the many unlimited data plans that people have been giving away over the past few weeks (there is a 95 page thread on this in the iPhone forum here). Once you are officially a "Verizon customer they will be more likely to give you a "replacement" SIM that is already active.

8. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks a lot! Now I understand :)
    No, I'm not a current Verizon customer as I live in Canada.

When travelling in the US, I used to order a prepaid AT&T SIM on eBay, activate and activate it only so when I cross the border, it's already activated.

So if I understand well, I won't be able to do this? I will need to wait until I'm actually IN the US to find a retailer that can activate it?

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Likely, yes. There are some Verizon MVNOs who may sell prepaid accounts. Page Plus is a popular one with LTE.