Add a ssd to a mid 2011 imac 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kelly135, Dec 2, 2016.

1. kelly135 macrumors newbie

Hi I would like to add an ssd with the current HD of my imac 27 I will buy this kit https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM27SSD11/ is it enough or should I buy a thermal sensor too ?

I will get a Samsung evo 850 500go

Also my imac at the start do a buzz sound sometimes I don't know maybe it's the hard drive the onyx app utility tell me my drive need a repair

Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2016 ---
    Can I also configure them as a fusion drive ?

2. jcuecker macrumors newbie

You might want to consider using a external thunderbolt enclosure and running your SSD externally. That what im doing and it works great.

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Yes, that kit has everything you need (except the ssd drive, of course). I have a mid-2011 iMac 27" and installed a Samsung Evo 850 drive in it. You will need to download "macs fac control", a freeware solution to the hard drive temperature control fan, if you do not bother with the thermal sensor. I did not use a thermal sensor, the software solution is more than adequate. They even have a Windows version for if you run that OS in Bootcamp.

I have made a Fusion drive too with my SSD and HD, it works perfectly and is very fast. I fully recommend you do this upgrade. Good luck!