Add a subwoofer to 24" LED Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DAlba, Dec 21, 2008.

1. DAlba macrumors newbie

Is there a way to add a subwoofer without disabling the built-in speakers. Seems like the old USB HK i-Sub would be the perfect solution but I see its no longer supported in Leopard. I just want to enhance the low-end sound without having to use a complete external 2.1 speaker system. Any ideas?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You'd be much better off getting a complete 2.1 system. you already said that it sucks so why hang on to the 2 channel audio built in?

3. DAlba thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah they don't suck I was just referring to lack of low-frequency sound. I would rather not clutter my desk with 2.1 speakers.

4. naid macrumors regular

Harman/Kardon used to make the iSub, a USB-powered subwoofer with iMacs in mind. It is now discontinued but you can still find it on eBay.

I would also recommend getting up-to-date external speakers. Maybe not even 2.1, there are very good 2.0 systems out there.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The iSub is what you are looking for.
    New speakers are what you want.

There was a hack for the G5 iMac on Tiger that you could play both through the audio and through the 3.5mm out. Just a matter of terminal code. But really the iSub is not the best option, given the price, lack of warranty, reliability (it's really hit and miss with Harman) and overall sound - you are way better with a 2.1 system.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Clearly the OP suggested that he/she wanted more low-end sound in addition to the 24" LED Display.

8. timestoby macrumors 6502

get a new set of 2.1 and hang the speakers on ur wall if you dont want to clutter ur desk lol