Add a Videos category to iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by designgeek, Jun 21, 2009.

1. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I've searched on MRoogle and google and can't come up with a way to add a new category to the iTunes library. I'm dealing with the beginnings of a sprawling multimedia library and want to deal with it before it becomes a problem.

The issue is that I have some random videos and some full length movies in the library so far and I want to separate them but the only options are "TV Shows" "Movies" and "Music Videos." These are things like YouTube rips, movie trailers and other random stuff that aren't full length movies. Is there a way to add a "Videos" category under music, movies, tv shows, etc...? I'm sure it won't be easy, probably some scripting or pref editing but any help would be appreciated.

2. devburke Guest

Nah, I'm pretty sure it can't be done. My best advice would be to just fit it as closely as possible, and if it doesn't fit in Music Video or TV Show, put it in Movies. If you want to differentiate between actual movies and these videos, you could create separate playlists, but they'll both appear together in Movies.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yeah, not too sure if it can be done.
    reading between the lines
    But if you want a compromise, and you don't use the 'genre' field for your movies, you could set your 'clips'/videos genre to say 'video' and movies to 'movies', and then set the tab on the Movies pane to 'Genre' and you'll get the iPhoto-like events view.

I guess a screenie is a bit more helpful, here it is.

Attached Files:

4. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

That's brilliant! I hadn't thought of that, its a bummer it can't be done but thank you for the idea, I'm off to go organize the library.:)